Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sanitary analysis in SSA

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Hidden_Brain
3836 Views, 15 Replies

sanitary analysis in SSA

i am currently experimenting with SSA to perform sanitary sewer analysis. i have two pipes, 8" dia at 0.76% and 0.78% slopes. my question is where should i input the sanitary inflows for the system. i am currently adding flows to the structures (manholes) as external inflows>user defined (direct) inflows. i do not have any sanitary patterns yet, just want to test run this sytem for capacity to get a hang of it. i did manual calculations simultaneously to calculate the pipe flowing full flows, and i have 1.14 cfs (8" @ 0.76% and n=0.012) and 1.16 cfs (8" @ 0.78% and n=0.012). so in SSA, i user input 0.8 cfs (arbitrarily) at the upstream structure (STR #4), and to make the downstream pipe flow full, i add another 0.36 cfs (1.16-0.8 cfs) at the next downstream structure. for a flow of 0.8 cfs, the upstream pipe (8" @ 0.76%) should be about 63% full, which it seems like from the attached SSA profile plot, but then the HGL shoots up to the top of the next structure (STR #4A) as if that structure is completely filled! also, the next downstream pipe (8" @ 0.78% does not seems to be flowing full). am i missing any necessary steps here? can someone please shed some light? profile plot from SSA is attached.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

anyone? Matt?

Message 3 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Hi Y-EIT, I don't have SSA but when you try to run pipes at 100% full you are going to be under presure; I got an HGL climbing the middle structure in Storm sewers also. for design you should limit yourself to 90% full at the at the outfall 0.8 cfs. (.04 +0.4) and the hgl reads more realistic. 

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 16

YoungEIT -

You may want to check your middle junction's starting water surface elevation or your entrance losses to the downstream pipe.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 16
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

you are spot on Joe! yes, if i have it flowing full capacity, it does show the structure completely filled! i deccreased the flows so that the downstream pipe is not flowing full (100% capacity) anymore, and the HGLs inside the upstream structure are more realistic. i wonder why it does that though.

Matt, i did not have any entrance/exit losses specified yet, they were all zero in my model. i wanted to test and see for pipes flowing full if i get expected results. i did notice that i can change the field WSEL Initial inside the structure properties, which seems like it defaults to the structure invert, but do i need to mess with it?

Message 6 of 16

No need to mess with the results and Joe is correct that a pipe flowing full will become pressurized.  SSA will need an appropriate Entrance / Exit Losses as Junction Losses are not calculated.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 7 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Happy that helped. How bout one of them kudos Smiley Very Happy it would be my first

Please select "accept solution" so other readers may be aware of your solution

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

solution accepted, kudos given. thanks much Joe and Matt!

Message 9 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Smiley Very Happy My first kudos and coming from storm/ sewer is an exra kick for me - Yeah!

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
hamid.akbari

Hi
Can I ask you to let me have a sanitary sewer file as sampel.
Actually I am new at SSA and need to a sample file for sanitay and storm sewer.
Thanks in advance
Hamid
Message 11 of 16
hamid.akbari
in reply to: hamid.akbari

my email address is Hamid.akbari.ca@gmail.com
Message 12 of 16
hamid.akbari

my email address is hamid.akbari.ca@gmail.com
Message 13 of 16

Hi Matt,
could you please let me know ,how SSA or civil3d could contributed area for manholes?
Thanks
Message 14 of 16
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: hamid.akbari
Message 15 of 16
hamid.akbari

Thanks for your reply but this link is not what I am looking for.
Message 16 of 16
hamid.akbari

Any respond?

Actually I don't know why Autodesk is not active at SSA like other Autodesk comunities! you can find whatever you want for autocad-drafting,lisp files,...

I have asked several times for calculating contributed area for the manholes but I haven't received any thing yet.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report