Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to add Inlet Sizes in C3D

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
cpenn005
555 Views, 3 Replies

Where to add Inlet Sizes in C3D

So, i'm trying my hand at part builder, in an attempt to add inlets to the part family in addition to just structures.  But i want to be sure that when i export the part to SSA, that i can maintain the inlet size as chosen from teh C3D part library.  

Should i use frame length, or grate length?  

is there a curb opening length option in C3D, or perhaps a way to maintain a description field with teh export from C3D to SSA?

I'm looking for a connection for call outs in the profile in C3D to match the curb opening length in SSA... is there a workflow for this?  thanks

Tags (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: cpenn005

There is no Curb Opening value that gets exported to SSA using the STM command.  I would suggest reviewing the Documentation on Part Matching to help you with the tranistion from a C3D part to an SSA part.  You will be able to take your Civil 3D part family, and match that to an existing part in SSA or construct custom parts with the specific parameters.

As for Part Builder variables, I would suggest looking at the current parts that have frame values: SFL, SFW.  These values get passed to the STM file as grate lenght and grate width.

Good Luck!

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 4
cpenn005
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

so, if i build a part that assigns grate length a part dimension, that would extend a part that looks like an inlet... and that length value would be exported as curb opening inlet length (just did a quick test).

So, they key would be to build up the Inlet tops as structure frames, and the length values get exported as inlet length?

that seems to be so easy, did i miss something in teh best practices that would tell us how to do that?  or am i missing something that makes this harder.

wow, well, i'm going to try my hand at part builder and see if i can modify a circular manhole with rectangular top to make it look like our standard curb inlets, knowing that the info will be retained for the export

sweet, i'm excited, thanks Matt

Message 4 of 4
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: cpenn005

There is information in Help, not sure about the Best Practices guide.  There is new content in 2012 that has rectangular frames as well as round frames that would help guide you.  They are primarily Grate values, not curb opening values.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report