Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update pipe network

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Joe-Bouza
979 Views, 8 Replies

Update pipe network

Hi, I successfully exported my civil3d 2008 pipe network into storm sewers. I ran the design reset my pipe size and inverts via storm sewers and it all looks great. I exported from storm sewers expecting my pipe network defaults I sent to SS to update but they appear to have remained the same; at least none of my labels changed even if I redo them.

Did I misunderstand that I can update my pipenetwork this way or perhaps I missed a step?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joseph -

Your a little light on the details.  Civil 3d 2008.  You exported to LandXML into Hydraflow Storm Sewers 2008.  

You ran your design, changing inverts and sizes.

You exported the network to a)  the old LandXML file b.) created a new LandXML file?

You then reimported the LandXML file into Civil 3d...  

a) only works (i think) with Vista, so I would do b).

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Hi Matt. Yeah that's is a short coming of mine. I'll try again:

1. I created a pipe network in Civil3d (08); accepting all the network defaults and rule settings. So I had 2500 ft of 18" pipe in my civil3d drawing.

2. I then exported the pipe network to Landxml to import into hyraflow storm sewers (also 08)

3. I imported the landxml into HSS, assigned trib areas, Tc, gutter sizes, etc. And ran the analysis/ design to reset inverts and pipe sizes.

4. When I was done with HSS, I did export back to the original landxml file. (that's sound like a no no  even though I got no error messages.

I'll try a new file in the morning.

Is this a legitimate work flow or am I off base here? Is there a way to do this sizing directly with civil3d? (I should probably know that by now)

Thanks

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Matt.Anderson

Joe - 

Yes, your have the correct workflow.  A bit old school.... 😉

The only step that caused you to fail is the updating of the old XML file.  I have heard that it correctly updates in VIsta, but XP fails.  I assume you are running XP.

Here are a couple of other tidbits - when HSS writes the network back out, the network name will be different.  This can be simply fixed by a find and replace using a program like XMLNotepad.  I talked about in my AU class a couple of years ago.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 9
Joe-Bouza

I'd like to move to the new schoolSmiley Happy what should I change, read, sign up for, etc?

The rename was my next question; I realized after exporting to a new landxml I got a new network. So, if I rename I should get an update - great I'll try it straight away.

Thanks Matt, You are a tremendous asset.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Joe-Bouza

I new I had another question: When I imported from c3d, HSS numbered the lines with a slight skip up stream. is there a way to renumber so the reports are easier to read?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Matt.Anderson

I honestly usually either manually numbered them, or left it alone.  Most of my large systems weren't too bad.

As for moving to the new school - 2010 provides an STM export and import directly from Civil 3d.  That way you can skip some of the problems/workarounds with LandXML.

[I actually chuckled when I said old school - heck that was only a couple of years ago...]

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 8 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Thanks. I should be moving to 2010 soon; I got a green light to do so.Smiley Very Happy

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Matt.Anderson

Warp Speed, Sulo! 

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report