Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STORAGE CURVE BEST PRACTICE???

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ouspensky
427 Views, 4 Replies

STORAGE CURVE BEST PRACTICE???

I HAVE A LARGE LAKE WITH A COMPLEX SHAPE WHEN I BUILD THE STORAGE CURVE I GET ALL KINDS OF ERRORS WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TREAT THE DATA TO GET GOOD RESULTS.  I WILL POST THE FILES NEXT TIME

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccoles
in reply to: ouspensky

Basically, in the storage curve, the visible shape of the pond should not matter. What does matter is the stage-storage table you build to describe the pond. You'll notice that SSA asks for depth, not elevation, for each of it's storage curve tables. Depth zero should start at the bottom of the pond, and depth 1 should be the first interval of storage. Each stage of depth should have a corresponding contour area. Only include one entry per depth stage. There should not be 3 entries for a single depth stage. Combine them for a single entry if you do. If the pond has islands, the area of the island at the stage of depth should be removed from the outer edge area to give a proper resulting area. Like, the pond at 3-ft depth has an outer edge area of 15,000 SF, but there is an isalnd if 200 SF, only the result of 14,800 sf should be used for the 3-ft depth stage. We always use a matching interval when we build the storage curve, and avoid using variable intervals.

Without seeing your data, this is the best advice I can deliver.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 5
ouspensky
in reply to: ccoles

here is the project.  I am not a civil engineer.

Message 4 of 5
ccoles
in reply to: ouspensky

I looked over the data, and noticed on Pond 1, there were several depth stages entered multiple times. This confuses the software. The best way to fix this is to simply add the areas for each of those depth stages, and have a single entry for the depth stage. for instance, at depth stage 26-m, the three entries should be combined to show 38,058.68 Sq. Meters of surface area, and the other two entries deleted. You will also note when you do this, the storage curve will smooth out and remove the jagged spikes. You also need to do this for depth stage 17-m at Pond-03.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 5
jalneal
in reply to: ccoles

If you use the stage storage tool in Civil3d, it will give the stage and area of ALL contour lines, even open ones!.  Create a blank surface, paste in your overall surface, then trim out just to the top of the pond.  If you plan to use this in SSA, I would recommend throwing the stage/area into a spreadsheet first, run through, and add or subtract areas that are in duplicate (subtract if duplicates are islands, or add if they are holes that would contribute to the storage.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report