Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA - Drop Inlets

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1693 Views, 4 Replies

SSA - Drop Inlets

In the StormNet how does one model a drop inlet that isn't necessarily against a curb.  Choosing a Neenah grate is appropriate, but if the inlet is out in the middle of a field I am not sure what the correct settings would be when looking at the "roadway & gutter specifications".

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: Anonymous

Drop Great or Drop Curb Inlet?  SSA would likely model it as a FHWA HEC-22 Generic with the Inlet Type as a Median & Ditch Inlet. 

Roadway and Gutter typically will assume a vertical curb face to determine gutter spread.  

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Hi Matthew

This is a question I asked back on the Boss message board a while back as well and no solution was available.  I should have clarified that I am particularily interested in a sump situation... i.e. a grate (or in Virginia: a drop inlet) that is in a field/lawn/etc.  A generic HEC-22 median grate is on grade however.  In place of this, I have taken to just modeling a sump grate as a junction assuming that a standard drop inlet is quite large and there is not likely to be any significant ponding, but a times we use small diameter inlets such as 12" and it would be nice if SSA developed the functionality to have a grate inlet in sump conditions with water able to enter on all sides.

If I haven't missed something in SSA or you do not know of a solution to my question, please tak this into consideration as Autodesk continues to tweak the product.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: Anonymous

Junctions assume 100% flow, but you could apply a ponded area to that junction to simular the expected peak flooding area.

I think you could model the yard inlet as a the equivalent Neenhah grate, but in a sag condition.   The roadway/gutter data would apply to your ditch slopes, but it would assume 1/2 of the flooding cross-section. 

Do you have a specific grate family that you use or can point me to a use case?  If so, send me a copy.  matt dot anderson at autodesk.com

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 5
cpenn005
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

was this ever resolved?  I've got the same requests; i'd like to be able to build my own inlet library, as the standards that come with SSA dont really apply to VDOT standard parts.  How would i go about adding the following systems in Section 100 of the drainage manual;

VDOT Drainage

Thanks for the help.  There really dont seem to be a lot of tools for site/civil work, as most tools are geared towards transportation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report