Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA 2012 - Rational Method - Pipe peak flow exceeds inlet flow

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mfc731
561 Views, 3 Replies

SSA 2012 - Rational Method - Pipe peak flow exceeds inlet flow

I think I must be missing something obvious. I create a new layout for a pipe network consisting of inlets, pipes, and an outlet. Using the Rational Method for runoff, the connected drainage area to the first (highest) inlet has peak runoff of 3.58 cfs. The inflow into the inlet (set as 'in sag' for 100% capture) is 3.58 cfs. The peak flow in the first (highest) pipe is 4.95 cfs. Why is there a difference? 

If I look at the time series plot for this pipe the flow is all over the place. The flow from the drainage area and into the inlet are the expected triangle.

If I switch the nodes to junctions rather then inlets, the resultant flow is the expected triangle. The unexpected results appear to be liminted to the use of inlets. No external flows are listed.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
amit1304in
in reply to: mfc731

Can you please share your model? I think peak in pipe can be higher but voulme of water should be same.

Message 3 of 4
mfc731

File attached.

Message 4 of 4
amit1304in

Just increase the ponded area of the from 10 to 50. You will get the good results

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report