Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inlet Control not Checked for Pipes?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kahligsm
674 Views, 6 Replies

Inlet Control not Checked for Pipes?

After testing a simple culvert and pipe, it appears that inlet control is not checked for pipes.  Does this mean that I have to model all storm sewers in a network as culverts just to check inlet control?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: kahligsm

In Hydraflow Storm Sewers, the Design Codes have the option to check Inlet Control.

In Storm and Sanitary Sewers, pipes can be set to operate as Culverts.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 7
rdbrennan48
in reply to: kahligsm

If you model a conveyance link in SSA as a pipe will it check for both inlet and outlet control?

Message 4 of 7
annw2
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

I was just running two steep culverts in both Storm Sewer and SSA 2014.  Neither one was correctly modeling the inlet control.

The Storm Sewer got inlet control unchecked.  I have no idea how.  When I checked it & reran, it still didn't check the inlet control.

I dug out the manuals for SSA & tried that.  It didn't check the inlet control.  I also remembered in a hurry why I never used it after taking the class.  It doesn't give you the means to check pipes interactive like Storm Sewers & the export reports are tedious to use.

I dug out my manual FHWA charts.

The 20 cfs 15" pipe jumped to 18 inch

The 30 cfs 18" pipe jumped to 30 inch.

My boss had taken one look at the results and had told me the report was wrong.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 5 of 7
annw2
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Matt:

No, it didn't.  That is the problem.  I checked the codes box for inlet control.  It ignored it and just did straight Mannings.  It had worked fine before and now seems broke in 2014.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 6 of 7
sstoneman
in reply to: annw2

Hi Ann,

I hope this isn't too late, but I was having the same issues today and seem to remember problems with this in the past.  I figured it out.  Make sure in "Project Options" that the "Link routing method" is set to "Hydrodynamic".  If it is set to kinematic wave, then it is just a hydrologic model.  The hydrodynamic solution solves the hydraulic solution and provides accurate water levels.

Scott Stoneman

Message 7 of 7
DWAConsulting
in reply to: sstoneman

Thanks Sstoneman, this has helped fix my problem! Looks like using the "Hydrodynamic" setting along with setting the pipe to be a "Culvert", inlet control is accounted for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report