Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inlet Bypass & Street Section Modeling

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cfarrow
903 Views, 3 Replies

Inlet Bypass & Street Section Modeling

We recently began experimenting with SSA and are trying to verify the inlet calculations that were done in excel to make sure we understand the software before putting it into everyday use. We've created a custom parabolic street section and applied it to the bypass links, and as far as that aspect goes, we understand it and it's all working great.

Our issues come in figuring out how to model inlets directly across from each other in a street section. The issues arise when the top width (of Inlet 1, in the attached graphic, for example) exceeds the half section width and flows over the crown into the opposite side of the street (to Inlet 2, in attached graphic).

Any suggestions? We have tried weirs and flow diversions to no avail. Attached is an example of what I'm trying to explain. Inlets 1 and 2 are opposite from each other, and both connect into a MH labeled SD-J 29+33.00. Link-05 connects to the next downstream MH, and there are 2 links that follow the gutter lines to the North used as bypass links from Inlets 1 & 2.

Thanks,

Clayton Farrow

Clayton Farrow
Civil 3D 2017
Windows 7 Professional
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: cfarrow

Clayton -

Unfortunately, only a single surface outlet from an inlet is allowed. There would be no implied connectivity between the inlets.

From your description, Inlet-1's depth is large enought to that the spread exceeds 1/2 of the street width.   I would likely swap the inlet for two junctions, one that models the surface connection together with a lower manhole junction.  Between the surface junction and the manhole, I would add an orifice with the dimensions of the inlet structure, and then model the surface connections between the downstream structure and Inlet-2.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 4
cfarrow
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Matt,

Thanks for your prompt reply. That was the answer I was expecting but not hoping to receive. I'll see if I can make it work, but I'd like the two inlets to be able to "interact" to know which would be overflowing the crown instead of having to know that from the outset.

Clayton Farrow

Clayton Farrow
Civil 3D 2017
Windows 7 Professional
Message 4 of 4
fcernst
in reply to: cfarrow

The only problem with an orifice as suggested is that it doesn't account for dynamic trajectory flow  parameters that a rating curve built from proprietary inlet calculations would provide if these inlets are on-grade.

I would use two storage nodes connected with a weir to model flows back and forth across the crown, and inlet rating curves implemented in Outlet connections with flap gates closed connected to the lower nodes for the pipes, and orifices between the lower nodes and inlet storage nodes to model the possible flow reversals.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report