Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydraflow - Modified Rational Method - Storm Duration

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mhsu
5880 Views, 11 Replies

Hydraflow - Modified Rational Method - Storm Duration

my current case is to turn a nice woodland into a parking lot, therefore C value from 0.1 straight to 0.95
and NJ is only allowing 80% of 100-yr runoff from existing condition to be your post-development runoff.
this leave me to a very strict condition. Then i come to notice that the Hydraflow default SDF is limited to be less than 9.9
by hand i figure the storm duration is going to be like 300+ min with my time of concentration of only 6.
But Hydraflow tells me my SDF is lilmited to 9.9, not even close to what i had by hand calculated ( 300/6 = 50!)
Is there a way i can lift that SDF limit?
thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mhsu

Hydraflow Hydrographs will stop figuring the Intensity out when it hits
60 minutes which is the highest value in the IDF curve it can calculate.

If you storm exceeds the IDF curve, I would suggest SCS methods for such
a small release and extended volume.

Matthew Anderson, PE

mhsu wrote:
> my current case is to turn a nice woodland into a parking lot, therefore C value from 0.1 straight to 0.95
> and NJ is only allowing 80% of 100-yr runoff from existing condition to be your post-development runoff.
> this leave me to a very strict condition. Then i come to notice that the Hydraflow default SDF is limited to be less than 9.9
> by hand i figure the storm duration is going to be like 300+ min with my time of concentration of only 6.
> But Hydraflow tells me my SDF is lilmited to 9.9, not even close to what i had by hand calculated ( 300/6 = 50!)
> Is there a way i can lift that SDF limit?
> thanks
>
Message 3 of 12
annw2

The other issue is that the modified rational hydrograph is often inappropriate and used incorrectly. It is supposed to be an iterative process adjusting the accending and especially the receding limbs to maximize the storm water volume. HydroCAD is the only software I am aware of that does this correctly and automatically.

I know of a lot of engineers who don't bother and as long as the software prints something out, will use the answer, valid or not.

Make sure you read carefully all the restrictions on the modified rational method before using. It is only useful for a single hydrograph site with 1 inflow and 1 basin. No summing of downstream hydrographs. I don't care if some software packages let you do it.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 4 of 12
rl_jackson

Maybe Adesk should have partnered with HydroCAD, ummm.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
annw2

The COMPLETE Intellisolve package has many more features than the HydroCAD.

HydroCAD is better for modified rational, which is dangerous to use anyway.

It is also better for small underground chambers.

The rest I use Intellisolve.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 6 of 12
mhsu

thanks for everyone's help.
i don't like MRM either, but i was required by agency to use it...
Message 7 of 12
annw2

Which agency is that?

I almost always have the oppostie problem. I've tried MRM on a couple small projects and had reviewing agencies kick back as method is only rough kludge compared to SCS.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Mod rat is allowed by law in NJ on any watershed less than 20 acres as per
RSIS & the NJ Stormwater Rule. Most municipalities were also 'convinced' by
the state to adopt the Stormwater Rule verbatim.

The mod rat is very appropriate for small watersheds it should adjust the
storm duration to find the critical volume not the legs.

--
C3D & RD 2010, W7
Core2Quad @ 2.83 GHz 4 GB Ram
GeForce GTS 250

"mhsu" wrote in message news:6294682@discussion.autodesk.com...
> thanks for everyone's help.
> i don't like MRM either, but i was required by agency to use it...
Message 9 of 12
annw2

Allowed or REQUIRED?

We used to get stuck with Penn DOT requiring rational method, (reviewers often didn't understand storm water routing at all, old style use rational to size pipe only.) with the townships & DEP requiring SCS. We would have to have 2 sets of calculations for same site. PennDOT - Best stormwater manual written by structural engineers. Older version used to be excellent for determining load on pipe and horrible for calculations to design required size.

Yes, Rational method is prefered for determing flow value and sizing pipes for small watersheds, but since SCS method is required to determine volume to infiltrate for NPDES permits, it doesn't do any good to use Rational for Routing calculations. The SCS is likely to result in a target infiltration volume above that generated by the rational method site.

So, at least in PA, if you have a site with less than 1 acre disturbance or less than 5 acres with no point discharge (good luck), or a big empty flat site with lots of room for detention basins, go ahead and use MRM, as long as it is done correctly. Everything else, usually >95% of my work, use SCS.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 10 of 12
fcernst

Yes, I don't know why it is doing that. You should be able to take it out further, to the critical duration,  to get your max required storage.

Consider the two calculations I ran with identical basin parameters: A = 10 ac, C = 0.75, Tc = 20 min, Qtarget = 1.0 cfs below:

I ran one in Hydraflow Hydragraphs shown first below, the second was in Hydraflow Express, shown below that.

• Hydragraphs went out to SDF = 9.9, and came up with 97,245 cf of estimated storage. 
  • Express took it out to SDF = 20, and came up with 106,923 cf of estimated storage.
  • Modified FAA Method software I use, came up with 126,069 cf of estimated storage.

Hydraflow Express has a couple of display issues going on also: 

1. It doesn't display the SDF past 9.9, it goes back to displaying 1.0, however it takes the computations out further to the critical duration, as can be seen in the graph and table.
  2. It displays minutes in the table but the column heading says "hrs".

• It would help Hydraflow to report a little more estimated storage, if it used the typical Modified Rational Method Receding Limb duration of 1.5xTc, instead of just 1xTc as it does now. 

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 12
fcernst
in reply to: Anonymous

"Hydraflow Hydrographs will stop figuring the Intensity out when it hits 
60 minutes which is the highest value in the IDF curve it can calculate."

This is incorrect. It uses the FHA IDF curve equation to extrapolate out past the 60 minute intensity value.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 12
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: fcernst

Fred -

The SDF stopping at 9.9 is an issue development has been notified. 

A bit of clarification on the statement regarding IDF calculations stopping at 60 minutes back when I noted it in 2009.  The defects have been fixed.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report