Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra information for connecting pipes

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
AAristi
405 Views, 11 Replies

Extra information for connecting pipes

I don't know how many of you have to use EXFILTRATION TRENCH on your Storm Networks, but here in Florida we use them a lot.  Which brings me to this question:  Is there a way to add more information to the pipes to be used in the structure labels?

Specifically I need to be able to automatically add a note "W/ PRB" at the end of each connecting pipe - that has Exfiltration Trench around it - on the Structure Label.

So it would look something like this:

STORM MANHOLE #2

RIM EL.: 7.68'

INV. EL.: 2.00' (N) W/ PRB   <--- Not all pipes have to have PRB, so its is something I should be able to edit/change

INV. EL.: 3.12' (E)

B.O.S.: -1.50'

I've thought about using the Description field for this purpose, however we need the description field for a more widely used piece of information.

I tried adding another field to the pipe in the Part Builder, but I could not find anything that will let me add a Text field to the part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I'm running Civil 3D 2012 on a Windos 7, Quad Core, 64-bit machine.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ccoles
in reply to: AAristi

You could use one of the optional properties for the pipes for this, or you could create a new optional property.

Here's a link to a nice write-up on optional properties. Note that it requires .xml editing and using Parts Builder.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 12
AAristi
in reply to: ccoles

Thank you ccoles for your input, it was Awesome! unfortunately it is still missing an important part.

I was able to create a custom field for the pipes, which got me very excited because I thought that would be it... but what I need now is to be able to use that field under the "Properties" withing the Structure Lable Style's Text Component Editor

ScreenCapture-2011-10-06_120703.jpg 

Do you know if there is another location where I can edit/add this information to be able to use it for the Structure Labels?

Message 4 of 12
frankmcd

@AAristi - Did you ever come up with a solution for drawing Exfiltration Trench and/or adding PRB to the label? I'm in Florida also and trenches and PRB's are the norm for us. Thanks.

Message 5 of 12
AAristi
in reply to: frankmcd

Nope, we're still adding that information manually.
Message 6 of 12
frankmcd

That's what I thought the answer would be!! I can use a different pipe style for the trench section like I do for DI sections in water and sewer, but then you have 3 pipes instead of 1 and that's a pain when inverts change. Thanks.

Message 7 of 12
jmayo-EE

You should get this info in your pipe description...Either manually or create new pipes in the parts list with the PRB included so you chose or swap the right pipe and the desc comes in automatically.

The part description is the only way to get the custom data to tag along in datashortcuts, reports and xml export. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
mermerCAD

You can add it as a property set.  I think this is only available starting in 2017, but I'm not sure.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Civi...

Once you have assigned the property set, you can add it to the label style.

4-25-2018 6-14-35 PM.png

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Meredith

Message 9 of 12
drazen.galic
in reply to: mermerCAD

I think that option with Property Data Sets with connected pipes does not function. As far as I understand in structure label can be included only basic data like elevations, pipe diameter... I did not find option to include property data from connected pipes to structure label.

Regards,

Drazen

Message 10 of 12
mermerCAD
in reply to: drazen.galic

What a bummer!

Thanks!

Meredith

Message 11 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mermerCAD

I'm pretty sure the property sets also need to be recreated if you use data shortcuts. They do not come through automatically.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
drazen.galic
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Maybe I missed something and cannot find. When I tried to put in the structure label property data from connected pipes, I did not use data shortcut. I can add in the pipe label property data from pipes and in structure label property data from structure. But I do not see the option to add in structure label property data from connected pipes.

Regards,

Drazen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report