Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catchment areas are worthless

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
frankp23
2021 Views, 9 Replies

Catchment areas are worthless

Why in world would I want a feature that I can not edit.

Only way to edit is to explode (twice) to get it back to polylines and then convert back to Catchment area.

Get what happens when you explode catchment areas - NOT ALWAYS - but they generally cause errors. = CRASH

Would love to talk to the person that came up with this idea.

TROY

Troy Moore
Civil3D 2014
Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
Intel Xeon E31225 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: frankp23

Catchments are a function of the surface to which you created it.  If you wish to edit, the Catchment area command creates a polyline using the same calculations the catchment object uses.  Edit, and then convert to an object.

If you wish to explode an object, type explode first, then select the catchment.  

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 10
millermccoy
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

how do you edit a catchment that was created from object?

2015 Civil 3D
Message 4 of 10
Matt.Anderson

You edit the object prior to converting it to a catchment.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 10
frankp23

But after you create the catchment, in the "real engineering world" things happen, I need to move a structure and then the catchment needs to be updated. Therefore you either delete and start over or explode twice and get back to a polyline and then recreate the catchment. As I said before, exploding catchment areas will causes drawing errors from time to time.

Catchment areas should be able to be edited just like feature lines

Troy Moore
Civil3D 2014
Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
16 GB RAM
Message 6 of 10
millermccoy
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Matt:

How do you edit a catchment made from an object after the catchment is created?

Are you stating this is not an option?

I've never had a project without revisions...

2015 Civil 3D
Message 7 of 10
frankp23
in reply to: millermccoy

You can not edit. That is my whole problem with catchments.

Troy Moore
Civil3D 2014
Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
16 GB RAM
Message 8 of 10
annw2

Things do not seem to be improving with 2014.

I started using them for pipe line projects where I have 1 isolated pipe every mile or so.  I used parcels for every other project.

I had catchments adjacent to each other.  The catchment from surface will work about 10% of the time based on model parameters.   It will usually give me a start of 10% of the desired area.

Most of the time - Catchment from closed poly line is the most practical.  But I first have to explode the surface catchment 2x & fix the elevation.  I can't extend a line to a parcel.

I can't add an unclosed polyline to the edge of a catchment like you can with the parcels to create a second parcel.

I can't Bpoly to a catchment edge.

I would like to add the area & CN of the uphill cathment for the uphill pipe to the downhill area of the second pipe downstream to export to Storm  Sewer not just the incremental area.

I'm trying to remember if SSA does that by adding a swale between pipes, but I'm not about to input the information manually when I can do it automatically with Storm Sewer.  I still haven't gotten the export to SSA to work.  All it does is crash.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 9 of 10
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: annw2

" I still haven't gotten the export to SSA to work.  All it does is crash."

have you tried my previous suggestion of exporting as STM and then importing the STM to SSA?

Message 10 of 10
annw2
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

I haven't needed to go back to the function since the post.

Are the STM files identical?

If I export to Storm Sewers, I would just stay in Storm Sewers.  I've been using it for about a decade.  Other than the class I took, this was my first attempt at SSA.

The only advantage for SSA would be if it would read ALL the catchments instead of just some of them.  The project I was working on was the only one that I had any use for the catchments as it was a series of discrete culverts.

Ann Wingert, P.E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report