Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

working with a 2d survey drawing?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
danmccrudden123
3509 Views, 9 Replies

working with a 2d survey drawing?

Hi

I'm exploring the option of going from normal autocad and PDS (for our road designs) to fully using Civil 3D 2013

Generally we only recieve a survey drawing as a 2d cad file with height points represented as 2d text.

In PDS all we need do is 'convert text to point' and create a ground model, this gives us a 3d ground mesh to work with.

In Civil 3d i've found 'movetexttoelevation' but now i'm stuck with adding a point at the node of the text object, and then I need to creat a surface model to overlay a 2d siteplan andstart creating our roads.

Any pointers in the right direction is much appreciated.

Many Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Basically you can push text to the elevation it represents then add the text to a surface directly.

check out this post.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Convert-Mtext-to-civil-3d-point/m-p/2923394/highlight...

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: danmccrudden123

This method will work with the caveat that the level point will be at the insertion point of the text which may or may not be at the actual level point. This will make the resultant DTM inaccurate although in some circumstances this will be acceptable eg. large open site with little detail whilst in other circumstances e.g. congested site with much detail it may not be.

If the text is all consistently offset then it is possible to ofset the text back to the correct location with not toom much hassle but if the text is rotated and at varying offsets then there is more work to do.

I use a the following routine which works well (although may need to be run a few times where ambiguous points are found) http://howtoautocad.com/autocad-civil-3d-survey-fix-tool/

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza

You can use a lisp program to convert the text to acad points or you can use DATAEXTRACTION (my preference)to create a csv file of point.

Note: due to upload restrictions, for some reason dxe files are not permitted? Rename the txt file to have a .dxe extension soy you can study it.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 10
neilyj666

.....always remembering the caveat about text insertion point vs actual level point.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
jmayo-EE

C3D can use the text/mtext objects to build the surface without points. After you move the text or mtext to elevation, go to the surface definition. Expand the defintion tree and right click on Drawing Objects. In the drop down list choose Text and select the text/mtext objects.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Sorry Andrew. You had this.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Krite1

This tool will convert level point to elevation of text.

http://howtoautocad.com/autocad-civil-3d-survey-fix-tool

Can be used in autocad as well.
Message 9 of 10
neilyj666

....as previously advised in the second reply to thisthis thread

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

Thanks for the link! It´s exactly what I was looking for! 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report