Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

working a pond with a known volume but different depths and layout

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MKH-VB
239 Views, 8 Replies

working a pond with a known volume but different depths and layout

we've been asked to develop a pond on a piece of property. We know the volume we want in the pond, but would like to preview different scenarios of depth and layout. Anybody direct me on how to handle these "what-ifs" How would you go about doing this? THanks

mkh
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: MKH-VB

Does the shape matter?
Do you have to "hold" anything other than the volume?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 9
MKH-VB
in reply to: rkmcswain

oops....left off a very important piece of info. Pond bottom will be set at a known elev.
mkh
Message 4 of 9
doni49

The entire bottom will be completely flat?  Will the sides be sloped evenly around the entire perimeter?

Is there a tolerance (such as plus or minus XX cf)?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 9
MKH-VB
in reply to: doni49

3:1 ss.
I can model the bottom of the pond. I was just wondering how I could move 1 side of the pond back and forth and check the volume in it.
mkh
Message 6 of 9
doni49

@MKH-VB wrote:
3:1 ss.
I can model the bottom of the pond. I was just wondering how I could move 1 side of the pond back and forth and check the volume in it.

For checking the volume, I would draw a rectangle that's larger than the entire pond.  Place it at the water elevation and make a surface with this rectange as the only breakline.  That surface represents the "water surface".  Then once you have the "Pond Surface", you can create a "Volume Surface" which compares the two ,  The difference between them is how much water the pond will hold.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 9
jmayo-EE

If this was a small pond and I needed to present these to a client or someone else I would make 3 base feature lines on different sites and layers. Use more Flines, gradings or corridors on each one to get each design. Label it all up and xref it into a new sheet file with the base maps. THe layers should make it easy to set up each viewport and save layer states for each design scenario.

Once the client or whoever picked a design I would open that file and create a data shortcut to the chosen basin OR Insert that file into a new file, delete the unwanted basins and continue to design.

If it was a large basin I might do each design in a separate file.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
doni49
in reply to: doni49

doni49 wrote:

For checking the volume, I would draw a rectangle that's larger than the entire pond.  Place it at the water elevation and make a surface with this rectange as the only breakline.  That surface represents the "water surface".  Then once you have the "Pond Surface", you can create a "Volume Surface" which compares the two ,  The difference between them is how much water the pond will hold.

Here's a quick example (done using C3D 2012).

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 9
jmayo-EE

Grip edits and Feature Line Editing tools to change the base feature line geometry.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report