Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viewport twist with sid issues

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
sfore
1424 Views, 10 Replies

viewport twist with sid issues

When dview twist or ucs object is performed in viewport that has an aerial, my linework or aerial seems shifted, but it plots fine.  When I zoom in/out, the linework jumps around.  I've searched and found other people are experiencing this, but no fix has been posted.  I normally don't twist view unless I need to and I haven't ever noticed this problem before now.  I'm running C3D 2011.  Raster Object Enabler has been installed as well as service pack 1. 

I recently changed video cards.  I changed from a nvidia quadro nvs290 to a nvidia quadro 600.  Not sure if this is the problem, because other people who open this drawing on a different computer also sees the shift, but it plots fine.

I also tested in a brand new drawing with 2010 and 2011 with the same result.  Also, I recently turned hardware acceleration off in 2011 due to performance woes, but turned it on to see if problem went away and it didn't. 

Please, can someone help resolve this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JeffWright5789
in reply to: sfore

Sorry this doesn't answer your post, but we feel you pain...   Our installations won't even plot a drawing with a sid that has the screen twisted using dview...    The only thoughts I can offer are confirming the "BASE" variable is "0,0,0" and the "UCS" set to world...  Other than those...

Appreciate all the help from the Forum
Version: AutoCAD C3D 2010
Message 3 of 11
andy.manninen

I have seen this before and it came down to going into the manual tune options of your 3DCONFIG (typed in in the command line)  dialog box and turning off hardware acceleration with the check box at the top of the manual tune options.  You can always turn this back on later.  Give it a try and report back!

:Cheers:

Windows 7 x 64
12 GB Ram
Intel Xeon Quad 3.20 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Civil 3D 2014 V2
Message 4 of 11
sfore
in reply to: andy.manninen

I did turn off hardware acceleration and problem is still there.  I turned it back on and even rebooted and still, the problem is there.  It's kinda hard to work in paper space like this because you don't know where to place anything.  It's FUBAR!!

In a separate project, I have 1 drawing with a sid and the viewport has a slight twist and it's fine.  No issues.  It seems like the greater the twist, the greater the problem, but who knows at this point.  Just another day of instability inside civil 3d.

C3D 2008 w/ service pack 2 has been the most stable version in my opinion.  I shouldn't need to go back several versions just to be productive again. 

Message 5 of 11
sfore

Maybe the size of the aerial is causing our woes.  I did another test.  I brought 4 tiles of sids in and twisted the same angle in paperspace and the shift isn't there.  Total size for sids = 16mb

The drawing that has the shift thing going on has a county sid file in it.  The sid alone is over 1 GB.  Is it the memory usage being shot and causing my graphics to go nuts?

Message 6 of 11
sfore

Just an update.  In the problem drawing, I took out the county sid and brought in the individual tiles for my site area. 

The viewport shift and jumping around stopped.  So my conclusion is the county sid file was just too large for my machine to handle.

Message 7 of 11
andy.manninen

Thanks for the update!

:Cheers:

Windows 7 x 64
12 GB Ram
Intel Xeon Quad 3.20 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Civil 3D 2014 V2
Message 8 of 11
awood

Just FYI,

I ran into this same issue and was working on it with Autodesk Support when this thread jumped up...

Here was some interesting info from the support guys about the image we were trying to use and some limitations in Civil/Map...

• The MrSID image has a width of 180491 pixels and a height of 91466 pixels, for a total of 16,508,789,806 pixels. 16 billion pixels is well in excess of the recommended maximum size for inserted images (as opposed to FDO-connected images). The recommended maximum size for inserted images is a quarter-billion to a half-billion pixels on 32-bit systems and one billion pixels on 64-bit systems.

HTH

AWood

Message 9 of 11
sfore
in reply to: awood

Thanks for the FYI.  That's good to know.  My image was similar in size (100000x165000).

Are you saying going through mapwspace, data connect is the best way to bring in large sid files?

Message 10 of 11
awood

"Are you saying going through mapwspace, data connect is the best way to bring in large sid files?"

According to Autodesk support that's the way to do it, however, two caveats right now - first is that I've noticed a number of posts on issues printing with FDO connected images but haven't tested it myself . Also, for me and my client, we are both getting an error when using the FDO Raster connection - "There was a problem adding data to map" (both of us on Win7x64 C3D 2011 V.2).

I'm submitting that error/issue as a new Support Request - I'll post if we get a solution.

HTH

AWood

Message 11 of 11
LeafRiders
in reply to: awood

Would like to know if there is a solution to this one. I'm using Civil 3D 2012 and have the same issue. However, 1 difference, if I zoom in to the viewport in paper space it jumps around and at some point the survey features line up perfectly with the aerial image (.sid file). From there I go direct to print, and the aerial ends up being shift to a point where this is un useable. Maybe I should post another post on this for C3D 2012, because obviously something isn't quite right here. Any further updates?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report