Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viewport keeps changing!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
twiebe
3781 Views, 11 Replies

viewport keeps changing!

I am at a loss. I have several sheets with plan profile viewports. I have set the scales and locked the views to prevent changes. However it seems from time to time, the plan views on various sheets will decide to blank out the contents inside the viewport. To resolve this I have to unlock it, zoom to all extents, and rescale the view to the area needed. This is extremely frustrating as seems to happen to viewports randomly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jay_B
in reply to: twiebe

Version & Service Pack info?

Sounds like this is occurring in the planview VP, with the viewport selected and Properties Palette open, what is Viewport type set to? Plan?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 12
twiebe
in reply to: Jay_B

Hi Jay,

'Yes' the VP is set to plan, as you asked about. I am also using the 'north' layout element to rotate my views.

I don't know if this is related or not. I am wondering if it is as the profile views never suffer from the same issue as the plan view.

I don't really want to take the 'north' layout element out as its nice for adjusting view rotation.

Thanks

Tim

FYI - I am using C3D 2014

Message 4 of 12
Jay_B

Not good, we're using the Dynamic North arrow too but we haven't stumbled on the issue of Viewports disappearing at all. Smiley Surprised

Have you tried the usual Audit the drawing and verify UCS is set to World?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 12
twiebe

I was attempting to reset the all the VP's UCS.

I have been auditng frequently through the whole project. I will finish resetting all the VP's and see if it will make a difference.

Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Stab in the Dark: UCSFOLLOW=?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
twiebe

I will check this setting. However I think I may stumbled upon the cause. I will post my findings tomorrow.
Message 8 of 12
twiebe

It seems when I exploded the layout North element the problem went away. I attribute this to a bug in the file. I have used Northing layout elements and never had this occur before. Oh well... I will take it for now. At least it beats resetting 18 layout viewports everytime I work on my file.

Message 9 of 12
Jay_B

Have you seen This Dynamic North Arrrow rotation issue?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 12
twiebe

Hi Jay, thanks for the link! I was already going down this path of the geolocation, but I think based on the link in your post it confirms the same problem as I am having. I will take this as the cause of the problem and apply the fix.

Thanks for the feedback
Tim
Message 11 of 12
ronpemberton7479

I just began having this problem for the first time ever. I am working on drawings set up by someone else and have never used the geographiclocation command before. I'm not even sure how to explode the North element as you suggested. I've noticed the north arrow will adjust by itself if the view is rotated so I guess that is related. Can you give me the steps to fix this? If fixed will the viewports reset by themselves or do I still need to rotate and rescale for the present ones?

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
twiebe
in reply to: ronpemberton7479

Hi Ron

This isn't a fix, but a work around. When you create the dynamic north arrow in your layout sheet. Adjust everything so your view is the way you like it. Once your view scale and rotatation for the viewport linked to the dynamic North arrow is done. Select the the north arrow and type 'explode'. this will explode the dynamic north arrow into components which will no longer interact with the viewport. This will prevent the viewport from resetting its location and scale.

Like I mentioned this is not a fix, only a work around. Adesk still hasn't fixed this from what I know. Its

Hope this helps

Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report