Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unresolved xref issue-please help!!!

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
katieellsworth5509
36544 Views, 14 Replies

unresolved xref issue-please help!!!

does anyone know how to get an xref back when it says unresolved without detaching it because i don't want to lose all the layers i have for the xref which are frozen in certain viewports?

any help would be appreciated.

katherine
c3d 2008, sp2
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Sinc
in reply to: katieellsworth5509

Select the XREF in the External References editor. You should see details about the XREF appear in the Detail Pane (you may need to open this other pane so you can see the stuff in it).

In the Detail Pane is a line for "Found at" Click on this line and three little dots will appear to the right. Click on those dots to browse to the new location of the file.
Sinc
Message 3 of 15

tried that many times. even tried to put dwg in a different folder to change the path. either way xref still stays unresolved.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

is it a nested xref, try looking at the tree view to check
Lisa Pohlmeyer

katherine wrote:
> tried that many times. even tried to put dwg in a different folder to change the path. either way xref still stays unresolved.
Message 5 of 15

GOT IT!!!. the issue was the base drawing somehow got an xref of itself into it. when i went to a different drawing that had the base drawing xreffed in it was stating unresolved.

the only issue i have left (and i kind of cheated to get around it) was the xref of the base drawing in the base drawing wouldn't detach, so i changed the name and the path to a blank drawing (which won't detach either!).

so then when i went to open the other drawing the xreffed base drawing was fine and there was just another drawing called junk that was blank.

but thanks for the help though.
Message 6 of 15
Sinc

The base drawing is not actually referencing itself. There is no way to XREF a drawing into itself.

For some reason, the current drawing always shows up in the External Reference editor. It's something that has always bugged me, but I've learned to look over it. Just ignore it.
Sinc
Message 7 of 15

your right that it shows up but it was listed twice which is how i caught it. once at the top of the list as the drawing i was in and then again in the middle of the list as an xref.

but it probably is not supposed to happen which is probably why i couldn't get rid of and had to substitute in a blank junk drawing for it.

but it did happen!!!!
Message 8 of 15
Crass

I am having this problem or a similar one as well. When I open up my base drawing and hit F2, several of my drawings come in as unresolved:

Resolve Xref "FILE": Location\file.dwg
Error: Unable to load Location\file.dwg.
Drawing may need recovery.
What can I do? I am freaking out a little bit.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 9 of 15
rsanchez
in reply to: Crass

SOLVED! I had the same case, I run the AUDIT command which fixed like 18 errors, saved the base file, and reopen the drawing, and the ref. was loaded!!!

Message 10 of 15

I am having the same problem... "unresolved" base file. The base file references itself twice in the external references. One says the file name, status:opened, lists the size etc. The other referenced file is the same base file but the status is "unresolved". The problem started when i saved it and try to open another file it was xrefed into. Then the base xref file suddenly wouldn't appear and in the external references it says "unresolved". Tried to redefine the path, unload and reload, detached and reattach, nothing.  Tried to run the AUDIT command and nothing. Any ideas?

Message 11 of 15
nick.jonesss
in reply to: claireknnlly

I had the same problem. The location of my file had not been changed. I tried auditing and recovering and it still said "Unresolved, File may need recovery." So I changed the name of the file being xref'd and updated the location of the referenced file. It then located the file and xref'd properly.

Message 12 of 15
idesignher
in reply to: rsanchez

Same issue and this is what worked for me. Thanks for sharing!

Message 13 of 15
ckcass

Hello All,

Had the same problem as posted here, XREF was unresolved in all drawings that it was refernced to, tried to Detach and Attach but only got the error "Invalid". Went to the base file and lo-and-behold, it was XREF'ed to itself, and this circular reference would not detach!!! Used the above workaround whereas the bad XREF is pointed to an empty drawing, this worked but the CAD Yoda here was not satisfied with that. After many toiling minutes, Yoda purged the Blocks from the drawing and then the Baad XREF would detach!! There you go.

Message 14 of 15

I just installed this Autocad 2015 hotfix and it worked.... xref loads perfectly

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/XREFs-...

Message 15 of 15

I pathed the 'unresolved' xref to another dwg file, then back to the correct one, and it removed the 'unresolved'--because as usual, quirky CAD dumped by background from all the plan views, for no reason whatsoever, then refused to 'resolve' the unresolved'--until the fix above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report