Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trimming alignment

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
cceleeds
15236 Views, 4 Replies

trimming alignment

is there a way to trim an alignment?

i have one drawn up but need to shorten the road and none of the posts I've seen so far have helped me.

I'm not sure if it might be a problem with the drawing.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jay_B
in reply to: cceleeds

Not sure what you mean by "trim alignment"?

There is not Trim Alignment command per say. The options I'm aware of are:

a. Maybe you're OK with Masking and not seeing the Alignment portion you wish to Trim?

Then use the Masking Feature within Alignment Properties, see Alignment Masks

This is the least intrusive option and is visually similar to trimming but the portion of the alignment

is hidden & not deleted from the overall definition.

b. The alignment can be redefined to desired start stop (which has caveats such as how far into design you might be)

and what may be affected by redefining.

If redefining, thought and caution must be used if Civil 3d objects are of concern such as corridors etc.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: Jay_B

....or you can grip edit (if the geometry and other considerations) allow.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: cceleeds

As you likely know, C3D alignments are custom objects that require special tools to manipulate them in most cases. You access those tools by selecting and RT click or select from the Ribbon and choosing Edit Geometry. So you can't use the trim command to truncate an alignment.

Here are a few scenarios that you may encounter:

1. Your alignment ends with a tangent and you want to shorten the end to meet at a crossing line.

In this case just drag the end grip and snap it to the intersection with the line.

2. The last element of the alignment is a curve and you want to trim it to a crossing element

Depending on what type of curve you applied to the end of the alignment you may be able to grip edit the end and the arc will shorten while maintaining it's radius. If you don't have that type of arc then you can either replace it with one that does OR you can adjust the constraints using the settings in this post (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Extending-alignments/m-p/3589806/highlight/tr... OR you can draw some construction lines with generic CAD elements and use them as a guide to grip edit the arc.

3. The crossing element leaves two or more pieces of the alignment that need to be trimmed off the end.

In this case you'll need to use the Edit Geometry tools to delete the pieces beyond the crossing element, then use the techniques in case 1 or 2.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 5
gordon.ray
in reply to: Neilw_05

This thread is a little old at this point, but for anyone else who ends up having this issue, I found a solution that might be helpful. (I should note that I'm relatively new at C3D and alignments in general, so this may not be new information for many of you!)

I'm working on an alignment that we received from another company when we took over the project (it's a bus rapid transit job). The very end of the project contained a loop in a parking lot for the buses to turn around. We ended up using an alternate design, and decided to just end the alignment where the bus turns off the main corridor, so I needed to remove the loop.

Obviously the TRIM command doesn't work on alignments, but I found a command that essentially does the same thing, as long as you're okay with "trimming" an entire segment. (It looks like the answers above are for trimming midway through a segment).

To delete segments from an alignment:

1. Select the alignment
2. Alignment Tab > Modify Panel > Geometry Editor
3. Select the "Delete Sub-Entity" button
4. Select any lines/arcs that you want to delete

Again, this may not be new information for many of you, but it took me a good bit of Google searching to find that, so hopefully it helps somebody!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report