Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the selected edge cannot be swapped

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
balloonsrise
1269 Views, 9 Replies

the selected edge cannot be swapped

Does anyone know how to disable this notification? EXPERT doesn't do it.

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 64-bit
Inteel 2.40 GHz 8 GB RAM
Dell T7600
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ccoles
in reply to: balloonsrise

How else do you want C3D to tell you it cannot perform a requested comand? This isn't a nuisance notification, but a standard error message.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 10
balloonsrise
in reply to: ccoles

Because it's self-explanatory. If the edge doesn't swap, it can't be swapped, and I don't need cad to tell me this. In Microstation/Geopak, for example, there is no notification when an edge can't be swapped/deleted. No problem, just try a different one. The notification is redundant, and yes, it is a nuisance.

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 64-bit
Inteel 2.40 GHz 8 GB RAM
Dell T7600
Message 4 of 10
troma

Nuisance, yes.  But I don't think it's totally redundant.

It would be nice to put the notification on the commandline instead of a pop-up box.  That way it wouldn't interrupt the work, but you could still see it as a confirmation out of the corner of your eye: 'I did click on it right? Or did I miss? OK, there it says that one won't swap.'

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 10
balloonsrise
in reply to: troma

I agree with you there, put it on the command line. It's very annoying to me, same with the pop up box that tells me I have moved an obect to an off layer. When you're doing point cleanup on hundreds of survey shots, that box is maddening. That's why I have EXPERT set to 1. I do not need to be told what I just did on purpose. And if the rationale is that it should come up so that you don't miss an object you accidentally moved to an off layer, well, that's fine, but it's good they included an option to toggle it off if you're not worried about that. I think the same goes with the edge swapping box. If everything is going fine, edges are swapping, and you come across one that doesn't swap, then that means it doesn't swap. Try another. If none of them are swapping, THEN you know you have a problem. I have to click that box off too many freaking times. Don't need it, don't want it. 

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 64-bit
Inteel 2.40 GHz 8 GB RAM
Dell T7600
Message 6 of 10
Maine-iac

Does 2013 behave differently than 2011? Doesn't hitting "enter" or "escape" clear the error message?
If you are getting the error that many times that it is a nuisance, then I would say you are swapping too many edges and not visually analyzing where that edge is going to go before you swap it. If you feel it is necessary to rapid fire swap edges then the only thing I would suggest is to have your other hand at the ready on the escape key or enter key to clear it as soon as it comes up. The only time I find myself in swap overload is when doing a surface on a water body from bathymetric points data. But I have never got to the point where I hit that many non-swapable edges. If you post an image of your example tin, then maybe I would understand and be sympathetic to your issue. Or better, maybe someone would see a better practice C3D solution, like possibly using auto generated feature lines.

Civil 3D 2022.1
Windows 10 x64
HP ZBook 15 G5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Message 7 of 10

Have you sent a request to autodesk?

You can send product feedback here -

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

or through the subscription site if you are on subscription.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 8 of 10

If your surface is built correctly from breaklines etc then there is only a minimal requirement to swap edges isn't there??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 9 of 10
balloonsrise
in reply to: neilyj666

Yes. On really busy surveys though, there is quite a bit of edge swapping. The program just can't recognize objects the way we do, so there is always editing. As for me looking at which lines can be swapped, I'm not looking at that. I'm looking at the contour lines, and in a separate model view I'm looking at a conceptual rendering. The ability for the user to swap/delete/add lines and points should be fluid, for the attention is on the contour lines, the final judgement calls on the state of the terrain you're modeling.

But whatever my motives are, which are irrelevant, is there a way to disable that box? 

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 64-bit
Inteel 2.40 GHz 8 GB RAM
Dell T7600
Message 10 of 10
tcorey

No, there is no way to disable Civil 3D-specific messages. Expert works on AutoCAD's messages only, not Civil 3D's.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report