Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symbols attached to points...

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
ces
Advocate
3116 Views, 28 Replies

symbols attached to points...

is there a way to bring symbols into a drawing when importing points that are not attached to the point...???...

in LDD they were two seperate entities, and if we wanted to send someone a drawing, but not necessarily our points we would freeze off the points and block out the drawing we wanted to send...

if I understand it correctly in Civil 3d you get your choice of using a point marker or a symbol, and either wai it is one entity...is that correct...???...

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: ces

You are correct. The symbol is part of the point and defined by the point style.

You can make a copy of your drawing and explode the points to extract the symbols as separate entities. However, if you do this the symbols are no longer dynamic to the points.

I think there may be some 3rd-party apps that will extract the symbols also.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 3 of 29
sboon

You have it essentially correct.  You have a point style which controls the look of the marker.  The options for that marker include some default shapes (cross, dot, circle etc.), or you can substitute a block instead.

There was a workaround posted a while back where someone was using a point label style to insert the symbol block instead of the typical text labeling.  That way the label could be dragged away from the point without moving it.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 29
tcorey

Yes, you're correct.

Try ExportToAutoCAD command to create a drawing with AEC objects exploded down to AutoCAD blocks.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 29
ces
Advocate
in reply to: tcorey

thanks guys...

Shep

Message 6 of 29
13scutes

I have our Civil3D template set up so that I only require 3 point groups in order to display the points however I want.  ie. everything showing, nothing showing, only symbols showing.  It was a pretty easy concept once someone showed me how.  If this is what you're trying to accomplish, I can explain the setup.

Message 7 of 29
earlesinc

Could you send me your instructions on how you solved the point style situation. I have been pulling my hair out over this one.  Email to earlesinc@earleseng.com   ATT: Dave

Message 8 of 29
13scutes
in reply to: earlesinc

I will put an email together for you quick and send it your way 🙂

Message 9 of 29
ces
Advocate
in reply to: 13scutes

I would like to see that too...

ces@vae.cc

thanks man...!!!...

Message 10 of 29
13scutes

Thanks woman is more appropriate 😉

Message 11 of 29
tcorey

For all who need this info:

In order to create the point groups as decribed above: Show all, show none, show symbol only, do this:

1. Create a point group.

2. On the Information tab, select the point style you want and the point label style you want.

If the point label style and point style are None, no part of the point will display.

If the point style is something that displays a symbol and the point label style is None, symbol, no label.

etc.

Lastly, you need to know about Point Group Display Hierarchy. On the Prospector tab of Toolspace, right click where it says Point Groups. From the shortcut menu, pick Properties. Order from top to bottom in the order you want properties applied. If all three groups from above include all points, moving the No Display group to the top will cause no point to display. Moving Symbols Only to the top will display symbols and no lables, and moving All Info to the top will show symbols and labels.

This is how you control the display of any points that are members of multiple group and how you isolate points. Let's say you have a group called Flowline that includes only points whose RawDesc is FL*. To isolate that group, move it to the top of Point Group Display Hierarchy and put No Display just below it. This a great way to control points without screwing around with layers. Newer versions of C3D let you move a group to the top (or bototm) with one button.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 12 of 29
ces
Advocate
in reply to: 13scutes

gotcha...Smiley Embarassed

Message 13 of 29
Sinc
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

This a great way to control points without screwing around with layers. Newer versions of C3D let you move a group to the top (or bototm) with one button.

We actually find we get much better control by using a combination of Layers and Point Groups.  We don't ignore either one.

Sinc
Message 14 of 29
jsauler

On the same note of the blocks being dynamic to the points as inserted. When I try to plot the drawing the Block dissapeares along with the Point. The block appears to be on the correct layer (Looks correct by coloring) How can you set it up to freeze the point but leave the block visible and keep the block displayed when plotting? I have seen this in other files but I am unable to locate the setting for this.

Message 15 of 29
sboon
in reply to: jsauler

I'm confused - you're trying to hide the point but keep a block in the drawing.  It sounds like you're trying to do things the old LDD way.  Civil3d does not work like that.  The block is the representation of that cogo point; they're not two separate objects.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 16 of 29
JeffPaulsen

The "block" that you see as part of your point is controled by the point style. Within the point style you can set a layer for the marker. Keep this layer on while turning the layer off that controls your point label.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 17 of 29
jsauler
in reply to: sboon

Ok, I understand that.. So how do you insert a block to represent that feature on the drawing and have it so it will plot out? I have seen drawings that were Civil 3D that you could freeze the point but still keep the block inserted.

Message 18 of 29
jsauler
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

I have done this but it will not plot out the block. It treats it as 1 entity (point Layer) not the maker layer.

Message 19 of 29
sboon

The simplest way is to have points on separate layers.  In my drawings every point description has it's own layer, and they Description Key ensures that new points go to those layers.  Most points use a generic display style and those layers are turned off unless I need them.  Points that display a block are normally left on, and the layer can be controlled through the viewport to show only in the appropriate drawings.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 20 of 29
JeffPaulsen

What layer is the point on? What layer is the point label on? What layer is the point marker (block) on? What is the state (on, off, frozen, thawed) of these layers? Do you see the marker on the screen but it still won't plot? Do you have the same problem when plotting from both model and paper space?

Jeff Paulsen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report