Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface does not dispaly when i open the drawing

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
aluko0719
2991 Views, 22 Replies

surface does not dispaly when i open the drawing

i have a surface that is data linked into a drawing. the surface displays good in paper and model space. when i save and close out of the drawing and get back into the drawing the surface no longer displays. in toolspace, surface, the surface is listed. when i synchronize the surface it displays again, but when i save, close, and reopen it is not there again. i have no clue why it is doing this. there are 10 drawings in this project and it is doing this for 8 of them. other jobs are fine. i have tried using different computers and i get the same results (tried on 5 different computers).

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
w_davis
in reply to: aluko0719

Maybe right click on the surface in Toolspace and chose rebuild automatic?

Message 3 of 23
aluko0719
in reply to: w_davis

it is already has that to be automatic

Message 4 of 23
troma

What version are you running?  I've heard that newer versions than mine have a "level of detail" option which controls how much a surface will display, depending on zoom level.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 23
aluko0719
in reply to: troma

windows 7 64 bit 8 gig ram, 2013. level of detail is turned off. i think that we have narrowed the problem down to either a pipe network problem or a xref problem

Message 6 of 23
OsnapBhatch

the surface doesn't have any errors when rebuilding?

this has happened to me before and the problem was resolved when carefully fixed overlaping feature lines or even boundary objects crossing feature lines.

Strangely enough, and certainly not a fix to your problemf, i found selecting the surface from toolspace, deleting it, then undoing the delete made the surface display.

Intel Xeon
24GB Ram
64Bit Win7 Pro
Message 7 of 23
dseatter
in reply to: OsnapBhatch

I have had this problem when my surface is rather large such as when created from contours from LIDAR data.

I found that if I change the surface style to one that shows the triangles the surface will display.

I then change the style back to the one I want and it displays. I don't know why this works, but it

is the way I can make the surface display. Hope this helps.

Dave Seatter, PLS
C3D 2013 SP1
Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 - 12.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon W3530@2.8 GHz - ATI FirePro 4800
Dell T3500
Message 8 of 23
aluko0719
in reply to: dseatter

I'll give that I try. My surface is somewhat large and it does use lidar

Message 9 of 23
JWOLLENBERG

I am having a similar problem on a surface.  My only work around is to sync the surface after open. Again like others not a solution but it seems to work.  This is frustrating because the point of the dynamic is to automate these things. 

Message 10 of 23
aluko0719
in reply to: JWOLLENBERG

Sync works but I have to sync every time I get into the drawing and you can't publish the drawings because the surface does not show up.

Message 11 of 23
JWOLLENBERG

That was exactly my frustration.  I wonder if anyone knows how to write a macro to run on open that will sync all references.  That my solve our problem.  I say that realizing that when you open a drawing it should already do that.  It is obviously not at this point.

Message 12 of 23
Jeff_M

Make sure you file a support request! I have an open case with Support on this issue, but until there are more people complaining it will remain broken. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 23
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

I should add that having a lisp to auto-sync for you doesn't work too well. Not all drawings need it, those that do, not all references need to be sync'ed (at least in my case they don't), and it doesn't help with publishing. All in all, this non-sync issue is HUGE for my stopping my workflow and I have tried a number of things to correct it myself.

EESignature
Message 14 of 23
JWOLLENBERG

Where do I do that?  I have several other things to add as well.

Message 15 of 23
Jeff_M

Log a support request for each item. To do this, you can either do it through the Subscription Center or, if that is not an option for you, use the web form here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=1073063&siteID=123112

EESignature
Message 16 of 23
troma

Over here Lisa suggested adding the line AeccSynchronizeReferences to the acad lisp file, so everything is sychronized on the open command.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 17 of 23
aluko0719

i already tired going thru the the support. they bascily told me nothing. i have had many requests thru autocads support and most of the time they are not helpful at all. the best way that i get problems fixed is by the discussion groups. every time that i get a suvery about the support i received i give them a bad report.

Message 18 of 23
jamyers_2001

Had this same problem. After talking with our CAD Coordinator he said the problem was with the Existing surface being created inside of my Existing Drawing. So I went a created a drawing just for my Existing surface and one drawing for my Existing line work. So far this has fix the problem with my drawings. Hope this helps you out.

Message 19 of 23
brad_unruh
in reply to: jamyers_2001

We are having this issue also on several different projects but not all projects.

Surface sizes vary in size and complexity. All are data ref'd from drawings that are only created for the surface and not xref'd to any other drawings.

We have tried most of the suggestions posted here as well as changing permissions on file server. Which, seemed to help for a few days but today the problem is back on the same projects. As others have stated this is a major drag on our workflow and efficiency.

If anyone has any new ideas I would greatly appreciate hearing them. I have spent three days on this issue and have run out of ideas. I am going to submit a support ticket.

Message 20 of 23
dseatter
in reply to: brad_unruh

I had answered this previously with the way I was dealing with it, but that was a workaround.

I did not know about Level of Detail at that time. With Level of Detail turned ON the larger surfaces that I use display fine.

There have been many discussions about Level of Detail in this forum and I have found that it works for my particular issue with surface display.

Hope this helps.

Dave Seatter, PLS
C3D 2013 SP1
Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 - 12.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon W3530@2.8 GHz - ATI FirePro 4800
Dell T3500

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report