Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subassembly help

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
g.legiehn
993 Views, 9 Replies

subassembly help

I have a rail assembly and i want to slope down 2:1 to a ditch 2m wide then slope up 2:1 to daylight to OG. the ditch does not have to be  2m wide (varies) depending if it daylights inside the right of way. also i want the botom of down slope to foloow a profile i created to accomodate existing culverts.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
MilneJB
in reply to: g.legiehn

You can use the BasicSideSlopeCutDitch, you'll need to do a little math to specify how far it should go before making the ditch bottom, then you can put a 0 length for the backslope width, then it will target ground.
Message 3 of 10
mathewkol

Link Slope Vertical Deflection for the foreslope. Your profile can be targetted so your ditch bottom follows your profile.

Link Width and Slope for the bottom. An alignment (or polyline) can be targetted for its width.

Link Slope to Surface for the back slope.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 10
g.legiehn
in reply to: mathewkol

I am still having difficulty making it work, thank you for the suggestion. My ditch width can vary and the ditch depth is profile dependent but I need my back slope to be on or inside the right of way. Please see attached for a cross section view of my subassembly problem.

Many thanks

Do you really need to print this email? Let's protect the environment!

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it in its entirety.

Thank you for the reply. I still am having trouble my back slope can be variable but would like to maintain 2:1 slope. the ditch can vary max 2m to vi ditch and the ditch is profile dependent. my constraint is i need my backslope to remain inside the right of way. Please find the PDF attached to better explain of a cross section.

Message 6 of 10
mathewkol

You may need to use the Link Slope Between Points, this one can be a little tricky your first time.  This will hold the slope of the backslope and narrow the ditch bottom if you do it correctly.

Daylight Max Offset.  You'll need to define the property line as an alignment or polyline and use it as a target for the maximum offset.  This will steepen the backslope if required to fit inside the specified offset.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 10
fcernst

This sounds like an engineering optimization problem.

There is another parameter here to consider.. the hydraulic capacity of the ditch (with freeboard).

The V-ditch has to be deeper for a given required capacity than a ditch section with a 2m wide ditch bottom. The 2m bottom width ditch profile can be flatter with a subsequent shorter vertical daylight catch differential, for a given required capacity. 

If capacity is not an issue, then V-ditch is going to win every time for your best chance at catching at 2:1 within ROW for a given constant profile.

it seems like you're saying you have a profile you want to stick with...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 10
sboon
in reply to: mathewkol

I think Matt has the right idea, but you could add conditional tests to refine it.  The foreslope down to the inside edge of the ditch is fixed by the profile.  From there the question is whether or not the 2m wide ditch fits in the R/W.  If you used LinkWidthAndSlope and LinkSlopeToSurface with the omit link option turned on then you could use a conditional test to determine if you were inside or outside of the R/W line.  If you're inside then use LinkSlopeAndVerticalDeflection plus LinkWidthAndSlope to move back to the original foreslope point before applying a daylight subassembly to finish.  If you're outside of the R/W then use LinkOffsetOnSurface to set a MarkedPoint on the R/W line before moving back to the original ditch foreslope point.  Use LinkSlopesBetweenPoints to finish.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 10
fcernst
in reply to: sboon

LinkSlopeVerticalDeflection doesn't give the horizontal targeting capability needed to tie into existing culverts.

Using LinkwidthAndSlope for the foreslope link does.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 10
g.legiehn
in reply to: fcernst

Still having trouble off rail sub linkslopetoverticledeflection (profile dependant) and I would like a 2m m ditch but can use v-ditch.then after the ditch link to max offset to an alignment. My problem is mark point and link to mark point, do I need to use linkslope between two points so I can see a 2 meter ditch and it can be reduced when the daylight to max offset narrows the ditch. If possible can you please explain the order and how to create the assembly.
I am not very experiences and need to make this work so I may be needed to be told like a nebie.

See attached PDF

CIMA+
Partners in Excellence
15, Royal Vista Place NW, Suite 280
Calgary (Alberta) T3R 0P3
CANADA
Tel: 403-775-0100 (Ex. 7637) / Fax: 403-775-0102
Cell: 403-926-8359

Do you really need to print this email? Let's protect the environment!

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it in its entirety.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report