AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor ces
Valued Contributor
ces
Message 1 of 23 (243 Views)

some help with corridors please

243 Views, 22 Replies
02-27-2013 12:42 PM

We were happily using LDD 2004 until this summer. Now running C3d 2013. have gotten thru most of it but am venturing into corridors for the first time. I used to define a template, attach that to a vertical alignment, and create a 3d grid from that that could be made into a surface. I have created my assembly and mirrored it. I have created a corridor. I now have several questions.

1.) I am assuming from the way the assembly was created that the vertical attachment point is the centerline of the road. Our vertical alignment is the top of curb (based on the centerline horizontal alignment), and the two are not the same elevation. How can I make the vertical attachmet between the assembly and the finished grade profile be the top of curb grade? This was easily done in LDD by drawing a template then drawing a construction line from one back of curb to the other, the point where that line crossed the centerline was the defined vertical attachment point. it will be slightly higher than the crown of the road.

2.) I have a main street ("A") that is crossed by two other streets ("1" & "2"). Can I get by with one corridor for A street and break it for the intersections of 1 and 2 street or do I need several corridors for A street.

please bear with me for any and all stupid questions, I am figuring this out on my own and time is of the essence...any and all advice and experience will be greatly appreciated...

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 2 of 23 (241 Views)

Re: some help with corridors please

02-27-2013 12:52 PM in reply to: ces
1. Draw that same construction line. Move all subassemblies (not the assembly marker itself) up so that the line passes through the assembly insertion point.
2. You create a new "Baseline" within the corridor for each additional alignment. In your case, you'll have multiple baselines for A, one for before the intersections and one for after.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 3 of 23 (238 Views)

02-27-2013 12:53 PM in reply to: ces
To get the best results you should use the intersection wizard, but seeing as you sound very green, the concepts involved may be more than you want to swallow right now.
Matt Kolberg
Valued Contributor ces
Valued Contributor
ces
Message 4 of 23 (233 Views)

02-27-2013 12:59 PM in reply to: mathewk

Matt, thank you very much...that solution for the assembly is what I was hoping for but it just sounded too easy...

now I have another issue...my corridor stops at my right of way even though my assembly specifies to tie out at 3:1 at the right of way...when I created the corridor I specified the existing surface as a target...any idea what may be going on here...???...

thanx again...

*Pro
dgordon
Message 5 of 23 (225 Views)

02-27-2013 01:10 PM in reply to: ces

one thing that may warrent consideration at this time is that a alignment doesn't have to be only at the center of the street.   Neither does a corridor only have to contain just one alignment.   I built an entire 300 unit development with many road intersections and individual lot grading all in one corridor surface.  I often use back of curb or edge of metal as my alignment centerline.   Think outside the box.   C3D is way more powerful than LDD ever thought of being.

intersections generally have an alignment at the edge of metal for each quadrant of the intersection where a radius joins the side of two roadways.   The centerline alignment of each road is also important and thru the intersection a simple marked point assembly allows the surface to connect from the curb or edge off road to both road centerlines.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
*Pro
dgordon
Message 6 of 23 (220 Views)

02-27-2013 01:16 PM in reply to: ces

ces,

what assembly are you using to daylight to existing ground?   it sounds as though you're remembering to target the surface, but some assembly's only look at just cut or just fill.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Valued Contributor ces
Valued Contributor
ces
Message 7 of 23 (211 Views)

02-27-2013 01:32 PM in reply to: dgordon

BasicSideSlopeCutDitch...

thanks Dan...

Valued Contributor ces
Valued Contributor
ces
Message 8 of 23 (199 Views)

02-27-2013 01:59 PM in reply to: ces

that was it Dan...

thanks a lot...

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 9 of 23 (162 Views)

02-28-2013 05:28 AM in reply to: ces

2. You create a new "Baseline" within the corridor for each additional alignment. In your case, you'll have multiple baselines for A, one for before the intersections and one for after.

Respectfully disagree.

The OP will want want one continuous alignment and profile for Main Street A and all streets. The OP will have to show a continuous profile working through all of the intersections for all streets to municipal reviewers. 

Split all the streets' corridor regions at the intersections and use the Intersection Wizard (preferred), or accomplish the vertical design of the intersections manually with feature lines (not preferred).

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 10 of 23 (152 Views)

02-28-2013 07:18 AM in reply to: ces
You're correct, he needs continuous alignments and profiles but I did not suggest he break them. The only difference between my post and yours is that you suggested splitting the region and I suggested aplitting the baseline.

Feature lines will sometimes draw themselves across a blank region (which the OP will have) that's why I suggested multiple baselines for the same alignment.

Of course,m this won't get him a nice intersection, but maybe it's not important to him to model one.
Matt Kolberg

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs