Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some help with corridors please

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
ces
Advocate
730 Views, 22 Replies

some help with corridors please

We were happily using LDD 2004 until this summer. Now running C3d 2013. have gotten thru most of it but am venturing into corridors for the first time. I used to define a template, attach that to a vertical alignment, and create a 3d grid from that that could be made into a surface. I have created my assembly and mirrored it. I have created a corridor. I now have several questions.

1.) I am assuming from the way the assembly was created that the vertical attachment point is the centerline of the road. Our vertical alignment is the top of curb (based on the centerline horizontal alignment), and the two are not the same elevation. How can I make the vertical attachmet between the assembly and the finished grade profile be the top of curb grade? This was easily done in LDD by drawing a template then drawing a construction line from one back of curb to the other, the point where that line crossed the centerline was the defined vertical attachment point. it will be slightly higher than the crown of the road.

2.) I have a main street ("A") that is crossed by two other streets ("1" & "2"). Can I get by with one corridor for A street and break it for the intersections of 1 and 2 street or do I need several corridors for A street.

please bear with me for any and all stupid questions, I am figuring this out on my own and time is of the essence...any and all advice and experience will be greatly appreciated...

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
mathewkol
in reply to: ces

1. Draw that same construction line. Move all subassemblies (not the assembly marker itself) up so that the line passes through the assembly insertion point.
2. You create a new "Baseline" within the corridor for each additional alignment. In your case, you'll have multiple baselines for A, one for before the intersections and one for after.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 23
mathewkol

To get the best results you should use the intersection wizard, but seeing as you sound very green, the concepts involved may be more than you want to swallow right now.
Matt Kolberg
Message 4 of 23
ces
Advocate
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt, thank you very much...that solution for the assembly is what I was hoping for but it just sounded too easy...

now I have another issue...my corridor stops at my right of way even though my assembly specifies to tie out at 3:1 at the right of way...when I created the corridor I specified the existing surface as a target...any idea what may be going on here...???...

thanx again...

Message 5 of 23
dgordon

one thing that may warrent consideration at this time is that a alignment doesn't have to be only at the center of the street.   Neither does a corridor only have to contain just one alignment.   I built an entire 300 unit development with many road intersections and individual lot grading all in one corridor surface.  I often use back of curb or edge of metal as my alignment centerline.   Think outside the box.   C3D is way more powerful than LDD ever thought of being.

intersections generally have an alignment at the edge of metal for each quadrant of the intersection where a radius joins the side of two roadways.   The centerline alignment of each road is also important and thru the intersection a simple marked point assembly allows the surface to connect from the curb or edge off road to both road centerlines.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 6 of 23
dgordon

ces,

what assembly are you using to daylight to existing ground?   it sounds as though you're remembering to target the surface, but some assembly's only look at just cut or just fill.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 7 of 23
ces
Advocate
in reply to: dgordon

BasicSideSlopeCutDitch...

thanks Dan...

Message 8 of 23
ces
Advocate

that was it Dan...

thanks a lot...

Message 9 of 23
fcernst

2. You create a new "Baseline" within the corridor for each additional alignment. In your case, you'll have multiple baselines for A, one for before the intersections and one for after.

Respectfully disagree.

The OP will want want one continuous alignment and profile for Main Street A and all streets. The OP will have to show a continuous profile working through all of the intersections for all streets to municipal reviewers. 

Split all the streets' corridor regions at the intersections and use the Intersection Wizard (preferred), or accomplish the vertical design of the intersections manually with feature lines (not preferred).

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 23
mathewkol

You're correct, he needs continuous alignments and profiles but I did not suggest he break them. The only difference between my post and yours is that you suggested splitting the region and I suggested aplitting the baseline.

Feature lines will sometimes draw themselves across a blank region (which the OP will have) that's why I suggested multiple baselines for the same alignment.

Of course,m this won't get him a nice intersection, but maybe it's not important to him to model one.
Matt Kolberg
Message 11 of 23
fcernst

I haven't seen that workflow. How do you split Baselines?

I don't get Feature lines drawing across Region splits (see attachment).

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 23
mathewkol

There's no command to split baselines.

I've seen feature lines connect between regions before. If it's not doing it then splitting the region is easier.
Matt Kolberg
Message 13 of 23
fcernst

So how do you split Baselines then?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 23
mathewkol

Stop baseline 1 at some station.
Make a new baseline, same alignment, that starts at some station after where BL1 stops.
Matt Kolberg
Message 15 of 23
fcernst

Where do you edit the Start and End station of a Baseline?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 23
sboon
in reply to: fcernst

You don`t edit the baseline start or end points, but you can create two baselines using the same alignment and profile, and then have two regions which don`t necessarily overlap.  Please note however that I have seen some odd behaviour when using this technique and I`ve avoided using it in recent years.

The worst problem I ran into was that corridor section quantities would only be calculated for the first baseline in the corridor.  The other corridor sections were visible but no quantities.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 17 of 23
fcernst
in reply to: sboon

Yes you can create two Baselines with the same Alignment and Profile. 

You are talking about starting Regions at different Baseline stations.

Matt K is talking about something totally different, starting actual Baselines at different Alignment stations somehow. How do you do that? 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 18 of 23
mathewkol

Steve has it right. I've never noticed the weird behavior, but if he says it's so you have to believe him.
Matt Kolberg
Message 19 of 23
fcernst

"Stop baseline 1 at some station. 
Make a new baseline, same alignment, that starts at some station after where BL1 stops."

Matt,

You mention here stopping a Baseline at some station and the starting a new baseline at some station. How would yo do that?

It appears in Corridor Properties that Baseline stationing is always a dependent function of  the Alignment stationing.

Is there somewhere else to edit Baseline stationing to make a Baseline start a some other station than the beginning of the Alignment?

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 20 of 23
mathewkol

You can't edit the baseline stations. You edit the region start and end stations.
Matt Kolberg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report