Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sidewalk target

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
lambertb
1158 Views, 7 Replies

sidewalk target

I am using the sidewalk urban SA. I use a polyline to define my back of walk. It works fine in some areas but it seems to get messed up at the vertices of the polyline. How are the points of this template constrained? I want to draw one polyline to represent the back of walk and have the corridor do the rest. My front of walk is correct when the yellow line is next to the purple line.

4-23-2013 7-11-50 AM.png

C3D 2022 and 2024
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: lambertb

Do you have your frequency set to a lower interval (i.e. 5.00')?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 8
tcorey

Sorry, I don't know if this goes back to 2012, but definitely in 2013 and 2014 you can set your frequencies to At Offset Target Geometry. This will pick up sections at those target polyline vertices. If 2012 doesn't offer this, do like Todd said and tighten up the frequencies.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 8
lambertb

I think I figured it out.

I have a parameter override for the sidewalk inside blvd to be 0 and I applied it from 100+00 to 113+00. I have been adjusting the sidewalk and this is adding stations between 100+00 and 113+00.

It seems the parameter override is hard written to the sections available at the time of override; and not to the station range. That's a bummer.

So if any changes are made resulting in additional sections, one must rerun the override and apply to the station range again...

Can anyone confirm this?

PS. A frequency of 5 or 25 didn't seem to matter.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 5 of 8
sboon

It seems the parameter override is hard written to the sections available at the time of override; and not to the station range. That's a bummer.

So if any changes are made resulting in additional sections, one must rerun the override and apply to the station range again...

You have it correct.  If you create new corridor sections then the assembly defaults are used.  You have to apply the overrides after that.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 8
lambertb
in reply to: sboon

So I am going from preliminary to final design and need to tighten up my frequency. This also affects the parameter overrides and now mine are screwed up. Does anyone have a workaround for applying the overrides besides redoing all the work.

And as an oversight on my part, I did not write all the overrides down, I just applied them. Is it a best practice to use targets for widths instead of overrides?

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 7 of 8
sboon

You have just run into two of my rules for best practices in corridor work:

- Parameter overrides should be the last choice for controlling a corridor.  As you've discovered they are specific to an individual section and it's hard to copy them from one to another.  I've also found that a large number of overrides can lead to a corrupted corridor.  I have several projects where I've been forced to spend a whole day deleting all of the overrides and then recreating them.

- Avoid changing the corridor frequencies in the middle of the design process.  If your corridor takes a long time to rebuild then split it into regions and turn off the ones you're not actively working on.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 8
lambertb
in reply to: sboon

I can agree with the overrides (even if I think there should be a better way of managing them) but the second one is a bit tough to swallow.

I am working on a highway (that I consider to be actively working on its entire length) to get preliminary ROW and alignment concepts. I run with 25' frequency over its length (2 miles). And I have 3 different alignments and 2 typical sections to get preliminary information.  It sounds like I need to break my highway into small regions and use the tight frequency even in preliminary design. Seems a bit much at this stage of design.

When it comes time for final design, our requirements for frequency are set by the DOT.

Alas, all the tips I have gotten on this board have definately increase my knowledge in c3d. I am looking forward to 2014 and being able to target xrefs.

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report