Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sav131E.tmp file saving to network very slowly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
pserpas
3509 Views, 6 Replies

sav131E.tmp file saving to network very slowly

Is there another area to configure tempory file locations other than Options-Files Tab-Temporary Drawing File Location?  Mine is set to C:\Users\[User name]\appdata\local\temp but when I save a file to the network, Acad hangs while a file called sav131E.tmp is saved to the same folder on the network where the .dwg exists.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: pserpas

What you are seeing is not a traditional temp file.

When you save any AutoCAD drawing, this happens:

1) The drawing in the editor is saved to a ".TMP" file (in the same location as the current DWG)

2) The current DWG is renamed to BAK

3) The TMP is renamed to DWG.

So what you are seeing is step 1. Most of the time you don't see this step if the drawing is small because it happens so fast.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 7
pserpas
in reply to: rkmcswain

So can I change my .bak location to a local harddrive?

Message 4 of 7
pserpas

Well I found a command called MOVEBAK which allowed me to change the location, but it did not solve the problem.  Acad still tries to save the .bak file to the network location, but now I have a new error.  I wonder what Unable to transmit selected drawing file. is going to cause?

Command:
MOVEBAK New value for MOVEBAK, or . for none <>: C:\TEMP

Command:
Command:
Command:
Command: _QSAVE Updating Indexes for block *Model_Space
Done.
Updating Indexes for block *Model_Space
Done.
Unable to transmit selected drawing file.

Message 5 of 7
pserpas

Well, after a few hours use, I am finding qsaves to be much quicker.  It seems that MOVEBAK does help even though it is still trying to save the .tmp file to the network.

Message 6 of 7
rkmcswain

@pserpas wrote:

Well, after a few hours use, I am finding qsaves to be much quicker.  It seems that MOVEBAK does help even though it is still trying to save the .tmp file to the network.

That is odd, because you are introducing a 4th step (moving the BAK from the network to a local drive).

...and it will ALWAYS create the TMP in the same location as the DWG for obvious reasons.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 7
pserpas

Yeah, it must have been my imagination.  I put the .bak files back where they belong.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report