Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reprojecting .shp

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sfore
387 Views, 4 Replies

reprojecting .shp

My drawing coords under toolspace is setup as wv state plane nad 83.  My aerial photos and usgs maps are also wv state plane nad83, and are in my drawing. 

When I drag and drop in a county boundary which is in UTM nad83 zone 17, it comes in was off.  I tried to edit coords and override the UTM with state plane coords under data connect box in mapwspace.  I can't get the county boundary to land on my project area.

How do I reproject the county boundary?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: sfore

If the boundary is in UTM then you don't want to override the CS with State Plane. What that does is tell Map that the boundary is in SP coordinates, which it is not. If anything you'd want to assign the UTM CS in the override just in case Map is not recognizing it.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 5
antoniovinci

sfore wrote: 

How do I reproject the county boundary?

Try as follows:

1] instead of drag&dropping the shapefile, use the _MAPIMPORT command

2] upon it, declare the entering CRS as "UTM nad83 zone 17" by clicking here:

mapimport.gif

If everything's all right, your county boundary will be reprojected on-the-fly to Nad83, sir.

Message 4 of 5
sfore
in reply to: antoniovinci

I've been out of the office.  Anyways I looked at this topic again and tried a few things that you and neilw suggested.  I recreated the scenarios from scratch and both suggestions worked, but the first thing I did was open the drawing I worked in last week.  When I closed it last week, the boundary was in lala land while my aerials were in state plane.  When I opened it today, the boundary was  over top of my aerials.  It's almost like my session of civil 3d just needed restarted that day for map to recognize the reprojection.  That's strange. 

I also connected to .shp file thru mapwspace and browsed out to bring it in with no problems.  I guess the drag n drop only works sometimes or if the .shp file truely is on the same coordinate system as the drawing.  I've read past posts where others have had situations where Map needed restarted.  I'm using C3D 2013.  I don't recall this problem in past versions. 

Thanks for your replies.

Message 5 of 5
Neilw_05

I've experienced the behavior you describe as well, as far back as 2002. It can be very annoying.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report