Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raised median tutorials

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Sam-I-am
3126 Views, 23 Replies

raised median tutorials

civil 3d 2011, Are there any good tutorials or videos on creating raised median divided roads with the bull nose.

I am using one alignment and profile, the profile defines the lip of gutter of the outside lanes.

but any general videos on the topic will help.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
castled071049
in reply to: Sam-I-am

I will toss in my two cents worth here, but others will have different opinions. I don't use an assembly with a raised median. I create my corridor as though there are no medians. I first get the design where I want it (matching existing driveways, taking drainage sumps into account, desiging intersections, etc.)

I then add the medians in as pasted surfaces as the last step. I turn the flowline of the median curb into a feature line, project it up to the corridor surface for elevations, use the feature line offset to get the back of curb, add them to a new surface ("Median 1", for example), then paste that into a new, overall surface that has the corridor surface already added.

It's simple without dealing with the complexities of corridor medians crossing over centerlines for turn lanes, etc., and it automatically includes bullnoses. Also, the number of regions is reduced as you won't have regions with medians and regions without medians to deal with. The downside is, if vertical changes to the road corridor are made, you have to reassign elevations to affected medians as they are not dynamic to the corridor. However, even with a median-driven corridor assembly, you will have to deal with feature lines for the bullnoses, so changes will still require feature line manipulation. Another downside is you will have additional surfaces to deal with to the extent that you have medians. I haven't found this to be a problem, but you should be aware of it.

I'm interested to see how others deal with corridors with medians.

Message 3 of 24
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: castled071049

Ditto

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 24
OMCUSNR
in reply to: castled071049

Do the medians show up in sections that way?

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 5 of 24
wfberry
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Sure, if you make a surface of them and don't forget to sample that surface.

Bill

Message 6 of 24
OMCUSNR
in reply to: wfberry

Got it.

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 7 of 24
Conrad_A
in reply to: OMCUSNR

I am also interested on how other people approach the subject. I watched a video at Autodesk University. It was called UnConditional Corridor Love. Towards the end the speaker talks about using the EOP as an alignment for a median. He creates a corridor surface and then pastes that surface into a new surface. He is able to use the corridor surface as a profile for said alignment. Adding the assembly of a baseline and curb in the corridor it creates a bullnose and is fully dynamic.

I haven't be having much luck with this method because my corridor keeps wanting me to update it.

Message 8 of 24
sboon
in reply to: Conrad_A

This thread may be of interest.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 24
fcernst
in reply to: sboon

These workflows you guys are coming up with make my head spin and give me a headache...Why are you not using the Median subassemblies? 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 24
mike.barkasi
in reply to: Sam-I-am

I create the median similarly to sam-i-am... however my method appears to be a little more streight forward...

once the median is placed, rules associated with the elements allow the median to update with the movement of the corridor, whether vertical Horizontal or in super the median updates.

The video below shows the process for building a raised median.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4fSe7R1rU

HTH

Mike Barkasi

Bentley Civil

Message 11 of 24
Conrad_A
in reply to: mike.barkasi

Steve, I followed your workflow using the thread you suggested. So far so good.

Message 12 of 24

WOW! I just went from having a headache to breathing a huge sigh of relief with that Civil Cell workflow. Given my small shop had not decided between AutoCAD Civil and Bentley to perform functional designs, this may be the game changer for us given most of our corridor studies and design work is for urban corridors. Are the same Civil Cells available in the Power Inroads SS3? Can this approach with Civil Cells also be used to design driveways along a corridor?

Thanks.
Message 13 of 24
fcernst

I use the various Median subassemblies. This way it's fully dynamic, one surface, etc.....just like a regular Corridor.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 24

I guess next time the original poster (O.P.) should be more specific and ask for AutoDESK tutorials and video's...

....anyways to the O.P., we've done this both ways with a couple of lessons learned:

1.  Out of the box assemblies are not customizable and become frustrating, using custom assemblies makes this task easier in the long run.

2.  Even a custom assembly can be difficult to use for achieving the desired results with turn lanes, etc

I'd follow feature line approach.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 15 of 24
fcernst

Do those Feature Line methods leave a chance of the crown ending up within the Left Turn lane?

Do the Earthwork and Materials come out right?

How do they look in Section?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 24
Sam-I-am
in reply to: Hammer.john.j

thanks everyone for solutions. I guess at the end of the day, there is nothing simple.

Given that autodesk sometimes scans these DG, I am sure if they had a better solution  they would have chimed in.Smiley Surprised

especially as one post point to a solution in a competitor’s product.

My mistake for not saying that I already have civil 3D and need a CIVIL 3D solution.

One would think that, than was obvious by me posting on a Autodesk civil 3D site. Nice to know that someone that has a different product has a solution but it does not help me.

yes we can use feature lines but as the corridors are designed to use assemblies.

Besides it's that the workflow that Autodesk is pushing.

Ernst may have something promising

Message 17 of 24
Conrad_A
in reply to: fcernst

Ernst,

Using median assemblies. how do they handle the bullnose?

Message 18 of 24
mike.barkasi

Who is they?
Message 19 of 24
Conrad_A
in reply to: mike.barkasi

I was referring to the median subassemblies

Message 20 of 24

They are

I can be emailed for additional libraries

First name dot last name at Bentley dot com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report