Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profile views in base maps

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CADmgrMike
370 Views, 7 Replies

profile views in base maps

What are some workflows people are using for creating P&P sheets?

I have a project that is 8 miles long so I created all the profile views (18) in one base map drawing using the plan production tool and then they are xrefed into my individual sheets.

I'm finding that doing a save or regen take approx. 30 seconds each time.

That seems unusually slow to me.

I asked my reseller about it, and their comment was "We wouldn't recomment that many profile views in one drawing".

I assumed (maybe falsely) that if the plan production tool allowed it, then it should work.

How do others handle long linear P&P products?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: CADmgrMike

It seems to depend on how many viewports you have in each layout, but we've found that best practice is to have no more than 5-6 P&P layouts per drawing file.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
CADmgrMike
in reply to: sboon

There are no viewports in the profile base drawing. This drawing is xrefed into each individual plan & profile sheet.

It's just a drawing with 18 profile views.

Mike Porter
Message 4 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Here is my suggestion: Dref the alignment a profile into a file that contains all the requsite base mapping. Save the file View1-6, view7-13 view14-18

PP each the requsite sheets and have 3 files with 6 views

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 8
sboon

Slightly confused here - you used the plan production tools to create a drawing with 18 profile layouts in it, then you manually xref'd that drawing into the individual sheets, is that correct?  So every time you regen the program has to rebuild those 18 profile views.  As an XRef they may be static but it's still extra processing to recreate them etc.

Why not use the P&P tool to create one profile view in each of the sheet drawings directly?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 8
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I agree with Steve's first comment, but something you may have missed. When you use the Plan Production tools, you can specify how many sheets you want in each new drawing.  Five sheets seems to be our optimal layout configuration.  Since the datum has to typically be "adjusted" for each of the individual PVs anyway for labelling purposes, it really doesn't matter which dwg it happens in.  

I may be misunderstanding which drawing is taking excessive time to save.  Is it the base P&P drawing or the individual sheets? 

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 8
CADmgrMike
in reply to: sboon

It's been awhile since I started this drawing and if my memory serves me right, we originally tried the one profile view per layout route, but there were issues with the the profile views being created correctly, so I used the "Plan Only" part of the tool and then cut the viewport for the profile view manually.

Having more experience now, I think I could use the "Plan and Profile" tool and get it to work like we want.

I was also coming off a smaller project with a pipe network and finding out that if the profile views were not in the same drawing as the pipe network, then all the pipe network labels would disappear every time you opened the profile view drawing. Haven't tried it in 2013. Hopefully that issue was fixed.

Maybe someone should write a book on the workflows you shouldn't use with C3D. LOL

It seemed perfectly normal to me that if I needed to add additional information to my profile views, it would be easier to do it in one central location rather than open individual drawings, especially considering that my P&P sheets have aerial imagery which makes them unweildy as best.

Thanks for the help,

Mike Porter
Message 8 of 8
CADmgrMike
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

To answer your question Lisa, it is the base P&P drawing.

The individual sheets would open fine, excepting the aerial image comment in my previous post.

That's a whole nother issue.

Mike Porter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report