Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profile line visibility

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
nostupidquestions
656 Views, 10 Replies

profile line visibility

i'm doing a road project. i've got profile grades of existing left and right ditches. in some sections we're redoing the ditches so i've got proposed left and right ditch profiles. what i want to show is where i've got proposed ditch grades, i don't want to show existing ditch grades. the new ditches happen intermittently on the road so i would need to be able to turn off the existing ditches at various places. is this possible without exploding my existing ditch grades? thanks.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
troma
in reply to: nostupidquestions

If the existing ditch profile is from the surface, you can add hide boundaries to the surface.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 11
nostupidquestions
in reply to: troma

that's an interesting idea. would that not also mess with my cross sections? i need to show the existing grade in my sections. for the profiles, it's just too much linework to show existing and proposed. thanks for the idea though.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 4 of 11

Create a new surface and paste in your finished ground surface. Add a hide boundary around the entire thing and then add show boundaries around the area you want to see profile for. Create a surface profile for that surface. If you turn Automatic Rebuild on, when you change the finished ground surface, this surface will update too. You can then assign a style to that surface that doesn't display anything (aka No Display) or put it on a layer and freeze it.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 11

so basically there's no way to turn off the profile at selected stations without a lot of workarounds?

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 6 of 11

@nostupidquestions wrote:

so basically there's no way to turn off the profile at selected stations without a lot of workarounds?

Correct. Alignment have the ability to mask between specific stations but currently profiles do not.

Another option is to create multiple profiles with the desired station range for each one. The draw back to this is you can't change the start or end station of a surface profile once it's created (at least not that I'm aware of).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 11
sboon
in reply to: BrianHailey

Another possilbe solution is to specify the station range for the ditch surface profile when you create each one.  Note - you cannot change the stationing after the profile is created.

Third possible solution - rather than creating a surface profile you can extract the ditch featurelines from the corridor and then project them to your profile view.  You'll have to label them manually but they can be dynamic to the corridor if you're still working on the design.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 11
troma
in reply to: nostupidquestions

Turning off the profile at selected stations has been on my wish list for years.  With a design profile you have even less options.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 11

normally i would just explode the lines and trim it, which is what i'll end up doing here, but the road is 5 miles long and we are still in the early stages of design work so the less i have to recreate and redraw the better. thanks for the help though.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 10 of 11

SincPac from Quux software has a tool that will do exactly what you're looking for, I'm pretty sure. I've attached a pdf of a portion of the help file that describes the command. I use this add-on application for almost every project, there's always a tool that's not included in C3D, but it's in SincPac. Shameless plug, very reasonably priced. We have a combination of the full seat for our surveyor and the drafting modules for our designers. You can find it online here: http://www.quuxsoft.com/ My workflow would be to offset the alignment, then offset the polyline back. Use that 2d polyline to create the profiles at the station ranges you want.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 11

it sounds like a cool product but we have trouble keeping toilet paper in the office. maybe autodesk will by up sincpac.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report