Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profil view anchor point

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rick.hberg
1363 Views, 14 Replies

profil view anchor point

Hi, does anyone know of a way to set a defined anchor point of a profile view?

For example, could I set the profile view to be fixed at 0+00, elev 100 and have any changes expand around that point.

It matters because I have to draw structures on top of the profile view, but if I need to change the user defined stations and elevations of the view, the view moves. (this is mainly with elevations, but both stations and elevations move if users switch between user defined and automatic settings).

the attached shows a change of user defined settings from (sta: -0+30 elev: 80)  to (sta: -0+20 elev: 90). Notice the shift of profile view and any smart data with it, but the bridge is now out of place, as is the whole profile view in the viewport.

For now I just set and label a point (like shown in the attachments) and manually move the view as needed.

Thanks for any assistance.

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rick.hberg

If you were to fake -out civil3d by creating drainage structures to mimic you piple and caps it would be a non issue. Otherwise, if you are going to manually draft over a profile and make view adjustments, outside of 3rd party software, you're going to have to manually redo. I think - Maybe someone else has an idea.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 15
castled071049

Once you change the station range and the elevation range from Automatic to User Defined, the profile view should stay pinned in place. This is exactly how one keeps the profile view locked so you can draw "dumb" Autocad lines and not have the profile view move.

Message 4 of 15
rick.hberg
in reply to: castled071049

thanks for the replies,

castled, with user defined selected it does in fact keep the stationing pinned.  It does not pin the elevations though (at least for me). 

If I change the maximum elevation, it will expand up or down and keep the view in place relative to the elevations below the maximum (this is good).  But if I change the minimum, all elevations (the whole view) wil shift so that the minimum grid is graphically in the same place as the old minimum. The bottom axis line never moves.

My first attachments show this shift (the line pointing to the 0+00 is "dumb" - you'll notice the whole grid moved down when changing from 80 to 90 minimum elevation). Do your profiles operate different from this if you change the minimum elevation?

Thanks for the help.

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
Message 5 of 15
castled071049

The way you described how profile views work is correct. You have to establish your minimum station and elevation and stick with it, or it will readjust and your Autocad lines and polylines will be off. Get the minimums straight, and it should stay steady for you.

Message 6 of 15
rick.hberg
in reply to: castled071049

thanks again for the speedy replies.Smiley Happy

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
Message 7 of 15

See the attachment:

1. I chose User specified range for stations (from Profile View Properties-->Stations), and start: 9+970.00. The problem is that I didn't get the start station label.

Could anyone give me a direction for the text label?

2. I chose Clip vertical/horizontal grid (from Profile View Style --> Grid), but I can't get horizontal grid under EG/FG Profile; and I can't clip vertical grid above EG/FG Profile.

Could anyone give me a direction for the profile grid?

Thanks.

p.s. My TIN surface starts at 9+ 985.59

Message 8 of 15
wfberry
in reply to: 3Dvisualization

YOU could be banned for hi-jacking a thread!

If I understand your problem, all you need to do is insert a couple of points and get your tin surface before your desired station.

Bill

Message 9 of 15
3Dvisualization
in reply to: wfberry

Thank you!  We are requesting surveyors for these points. 

Message 10 of 15
3Dvisualization
in reply to: wfberry

Can we set up the profile view to cover not only surface profile and also proposed profile (under no TIN surface updated)?

Thanks

Message 11 of 15

Not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but stationing in a profile view has nothing to do with the limits of an alignment or a surface. You should be able to set stations in the PV to whatever limits you want. I'd probably keep it to small fractions of a light year, but no reason you can't go out to, say, the asteroid belt if desired.

Message 12 of 15

From my understanding, it relates with surface profile, not proposed profile. This is why I hope the profile view has relation with both or can be set up independently.

Message 13 of 15

Again, I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, so here goes...

Changes in the vertical or horizontal limits of the profile view will be dynamically translated to both surface profiles as well as FG profiles that you created through the profile creation tools. However, changes in the PV's underlying alignment--whether re-stationing, lengthening (or shortening), or other geometry--will only dynamically translate to the surface profiles; FG profiles, for the most part, will require some additional editing.

Message 14 of 15

I think we explain the same problem.

The profile view is set to cover only surface profile and not proposed. I hope it can cover both or can be set up individually.

Thanks

Message 15 of 15

The way to overcome the problem of drawing on top of a profile view or section view is to create a Profile View Depth Label Style that is only made with a line component. The line component has its start anchor at the feature start and has its end anchor at the feature end. Length type is set to Percent Length with the Percent Length set to 100%.

Then use this on the Profile view to draw as you would with autocad lines or polylines. For precision, use the Profile Station Elevation transparent command ('PSE).

If you draw using these label types, they will scale and shift as your profile view scales and shifts. You can change the verticle exaggeration and what you have drawin manually while scale correctly. Change the Profile View Station range start and the manually drawn lines hold the correct stations. Also works if you change the Profile View Elevation range.

One thing I would like to do is set up a command that operates like the autocad line command but uses the Profile View Depth Label Style linework. 

If you draw one line using a profile depth label, you can copy them usng the autocad copy command and then grip edit them into place. Beats having to start the command over and over again.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report