Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

point removal from dwg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
hladuke
482 Views, 10 Replies

point removal from dwg

I have been reading the posts and have come to the understanding that the points can not be removed from the dwg.  I was wondering about the liability issue.  Now that the points are part of the dwg when you send someone (architect, etc) a dwg they get all of the survey data with the dwg.  Is there anyway around this since the points are part of the dwg or is this just how civil 3d is. 

Does anyone have any suggestions about how we can send a dwg to a client w/o sending them the points database?

I've read about NO DISPLAY point style and point labels.  How do we do this again?  It was a while ago when I made all of our point styles.  Just a quick refresher would be awesome.

Thanks for your help in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
civman_daar
in reply to: hladuke

Erase the points, point database is emptied.  Save the drawing, finished.

Message 3 of 11
SethHall

Hi hladuke-

A "no display" style is essentially a style with the visability turned off:

1182i2303C9B5326471F5

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 4 of 11
hladuke
in reply to: SethHall

I figured that it would be that easy. 

Now if I send a dwg to another person who has civil 3d and if the points are "no display", since these other users do not have our point style will they be able to see or use our points?  Do our styles transfer with the dwg?

Message 5 of 11
peterfunkautodesk

If the other firm has Civil 3D they will be able to change the point to display.

If you use the survey database then the drawing will only contain a version of the points. All the data will be there, but you will have the orginal data.

What is your goal / concerns about sending the points? Is it that someone can move your points or that they can see your points?

Other solutions:

1. Ship them a PDF for DWF file they could use as an underlay.

2. Digitally sign your drawings so that you can tell if they have been modified.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk,Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 11
wfberry

This style "thing" has been beaten to a pulp in this NG.  If you are afraid your style is so good that someone else may use it then send a pdf.

Bill

OR knock the drawing down to an Acad 2000 version.

Message 7 of 11
hladuke
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

We are worried that our dwgs can be recreated, manipulated and used for somthing iti was not intended for.  It is a liability thing.

Message 8 of 11
peterfunkautodesk

You should get with your lawyers. Just about any form of delivery could be reproduced including if you sent paper.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11
neilyj666

".... used for somthing iti was not intended for. ..."""

I'm intrigued as to what you envisage this might be.

Neil

Civil 3D 2011 SP1
Win 7 Pro x64
8Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 11

Generally we will lock the surface and then erase the points from the drawing before sending it out.

Message 11 of 11

You coulld alway send a dwf file, which could be inserted into a drawing.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report