Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nautical chart depth labels

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
autoMick2
2637 Views, 8 Replies

nautical chart depth labels

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible in c3d to label points in the fashion often used for nautical charts in which each sounding (elevation) point is labeled with the integer component of the number followed by the decimal as a subscript. For instance 7.3 metres depth would look like: 73

Also I've seen charts with depths as fathoms and feet so 64 feet depth would be 104.

If the decimal is zero then it is omitted - see attached.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

- Mick

Civil3D 2013 (infrastructure suite) ANZ & UKIE
Self-built i7-3930K, 16Gb RAM, P9X79 m/board
SSD(system), HDD(data), GTX680, Win7Pro64
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: autoMick2

see if this thread helps any http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/re-hydrographic-survey-bathymetric-points-labels-see-...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 9
autoMick2
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi Neilyj, thanks that was almost exactly what I was after - just a few remaining queries.

Please see attached. The depth sounding are metric with the pink numbers being the metres and the yellow ones being the decimals

Although I was able to create a separate format for the left and right numbers, and could assign a different font to them, I couldn't discern any way to actually modify the horizontal position (i.e. subscript) or the actual size of the right hand numbers without affecting the left.

I guess with some mucking about I could create two sets of labels (one for the left, and one for the right), but it seems that c3d should be able to do it.

Any tips?

thanks

- Mick

Message 4 of 9
autoMick2
in reply to: neilyj666

Well, I played with it a bit more - setting up 2 completely different label grids and formatting them separately (one to display the integers, one to display the subscripted decimal)... So this gives me the output I'm after (see attached), but I can't help thinking there's a better way.... so still after suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks

- Mick

Message 5 of 9
neilyj666

Looks good but quite a workaround...perhaps using expressions combined with labels might do it but I'm not an expert in this field

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 9

Try this attaced drawing. It has a point label style which does what you want for points. It is one label style called "Bathymetric" which has two text components, one which shows the elevation to the right of the decimal and the second component shows the elevation to the right of the decimal, and slightly lower and smaller than the first component.

As they are two seperate components, you can change the size, colour seperately.

The attached drawing is only showing the right of decimal component to one decimal place, but you can change that how you please.

Sorry, I posted the above and missed the part about not showing the zero. you can use the attached label style, but you will need an expression to weed out when you want to hide the zero. I would suggest an expression to return the negative of the elevationa and then use this as the component for the decimal part, and select the "hide negative value" option in the "Sign" option of the "Text Component Editor - Contents" dialogue.

You can also use the same setup for Surface Elevation labels.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 9

Hi Andrew, thanks - this seems to be what I expected would be possible, however I couldn't find how you had achieved this in your file - it clearly works, but I just couldn't re-create it - which I'm keen to do just from a learning perspective as I'm pretty new to this.

In your picture file, I was expecting to see 2 sets of codes (one for left of the decimal and one for right of the decimal). Is this right? or are you somehow using the one text code to achieve the integer and subscripted decimal?

I opened up (edited) the bathymetric point style in the dwg and opened up the text contents code - but I could only see one code for the point elevation which doesn't seem to be the one being used as it has a P3 (0.001 precision) which clearly isn't being used. So I'm obviously looking at the wrong place, but can't see any other alternatives.

To add to this, I noticed that even if I set the point style pack to "standard", the points will actually still show 2 labels (one above the other), but in the "standard" style. I can't see how you've been able to specify 2 sets of labels.

Could I trouble your for a step by step guide, or maybe just a few more screenshots of your code creation please?

Regarding the zeros, this isn't a big concern - so don't spend any time on this if it is tedious, but I'm not sure how to add an expression as you suggest.

[edit: I haven't got VBA installed - and have no experience with scripts... has this something to do with it?]

thanks for your help

- Mick

Message 8 of 9
BrianHailey

You need to create two components (I'll call them LEFT and RIGHT). The LEFT component will display just the information to the left of the decimal and the RIGHT component will display everything to the right of it. The LEFT component will be bigger than the RIGHT componet. Attach them both to the middle center of the feature but use the bottom right as the attachment point for the LEFT component and the bottom left as the attachment for the RIGHT component.

Hope this helps.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 9
autoMick2
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks Brian, I was just returning to edit my post again... as I had finally cottoned on to this... I was trying to add two codes to the same component, which was sort of working - just enough to convince me I was close to understanding, when I really wasn't.

Now Andrew's example makes sense - I didn't see his "text.1" component. And I didn't understand the differentiation between different components and the text codes within a component. Just shows my inexperience with autocad.

Thanks everyone for your help

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report