Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple surfaces lowest elevations

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
gelinase
2589 Views, 7 Replies

multiple surfaces lowest elevations

Hi,

I have many surfaces overlapping and I want to create one surface with the lowest elevation for each x,y coordinate from the existing surfaces. Does autocad civil 3D have a command who can help me?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: gelinase

This sounds like Dejavu all overagain.

If you make volmume surfaces you can extract the zero contours to use as boudaries to the lower surfaces. I would expect to see a jigsaw puzzle that dovetails together. The make a new surface"combined and paste all the "Cut" areas into combined.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 8
gelinase
in reply to: gelinase
Message 4 of 8

Yes like that post...... which I watch every day in hopes of a better way.

It is very tedious work if you have a lot of survey and surface information.

Should be done congruently with the survey

Message 5 of 8

I have been looking for a realistic solution to this for years.  I often times have multiple surfaces (maybe as many as 10) that need to be compared and have the as-built bottom created for.  We have a few people with carlson software that can do this, and have been for years, and Autodesk still sadly lacks in this area.  I really wish Autodesk would spend more time on improving grading related additions to the civil 3d software for people like me that don;t use the piping and corridors all day.  It's a love/hate thing for me with Civil 3D.  🙂

Message 6 of 8

If you would like to contact me directly, tcorey at Shasta dot com, I have a LISP routine that will write the points to a file or place COGO points in the drawing, with the point description = to the name of the surface that is the source of the lowest point among selected surfaces. It's just about exactly what you asked for.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 8
scottlaw75
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks Tim, I will attempt to contact you to further discuss this topic.  Multiple surface comparison seems like a pretty standard thing for anyone on the mining industry and Autodesk really seemed to have let the earthwork portion of their product stay stagnant for years now sadly.  I make do with what we have but I still have to use other software work-around in order to get pretty basic stuff I would love to do on my own within my own Civil 3D workflow.

Message 8 of 8

Hi

Which command or menu is Create a composite bottom surface in Carlson software?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report