Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move a survey point

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
djocwf54
6098 Views, 14 Replies

move a survey point

It ought to be easier to move a survey point

I do believe my survey points are unlocked

and I still can move them

can anyone help me

thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
wfberry
in reply to: djocwf54

Toolspace --> Settings --> Point --> Update Points (allow checked-In-Points to be Modified).  TRUE

Bill

Message 3 of 15
tfboles
in reply to: wfberry

I changed the setting and it had no affect.

I still can not move the points

Message 4 of 15
mathewkol
in reply to: djocwf54

Select a point and look in the properties palette. Does it say True beside the survey point property? Then it's not unlocked.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 15
ctbailey
in reply to: tfboles

hi tfboles:

You called it a "Survey Point" in your original post.  You'll need to unlock the point from within the Survey Database first.

kkuecker26
in reply to: ctbailey

Yes.  You need to unlock the points in the Survey Database.

kkuecker26_0-1592231668514.png

Message 7 of 15
mathewkol
in reply to: kkuecker26

if you know, but you just replied to an 8 year old post.  I hope they've figured it out by now.

Matt Kolberg
Message 8 of 15
ctbailey
in reply to: mathewkol

8 year old post, yet there is still no good way to accomplish the task, other than to exploit a defect.

wfberry
in reply to: mathewkol

He's alive !!

Where have you been Matt?

Bill

Message 10 of 15
mathewkol
in reply to: wfberry

Hi Bill.  Nowhere in particular.  Just working hard.  Good to hear from you.

Matt Kolberg
Message 11 of 15
kkuecker26

Craig T. Bailey...

I think they intentionally locked the survey points.  In theory, you should not be moving hard field data.

I had to move a bottom of slope point slightly to avoid crossing break lines on an irregular stone retaining wall.  

Unlocking the points that were processed in the Survey Database is logical to me.  I just was unsure where to do it.  Which is why I stumbled upon this 8 year old post.  I wanted to make sure future people looking for this solution could easily find it.

Sincerely,

Katy

Message 12 of 15
ctbailey

Katy,

Yes I'm acutely aware of the theory. 

The workaround is to delete the point from the drawing window.

then click UNDO.

the point comes "back" as a Civil Point, and is no longer connected to the Survey Database.

Once a survey is adjusted, points can not be moved. 

That's by definition, and works as designed.

Your point is a good one: there should be a better way to adjust/move/change points after the survey has been reduced and adjusted, but there aint.   And that sucks, and they've been told that at least 17,430 times by at least 7,318 people.   (Give or take the numbers, of course.)  🙂

kkuecker26

Craig T. Bailey...

Just unlock the survey database points.  I put a screen shot of where to go for that in a previous comment.

Message 14 of 15
ryanlaughlin

Your suggestion is not a valid solution, because it breaks the linkage with the survey database point data. Presumably, if you are working with a survey database point (different than a cogo point), then you want to preserve the linkage of the survey point to the survey database; otherwise, you wouldn't be using the survey database, to begin with.

The problem with the survey database is that you cannot easily make a small adjustment to a survey database point (again, not a cogo point) by simply dragging and dropping the point. You have to add the precise adjustment to the nothing and easting data in the panorama editor while you have the survey database open for edits. 

Certainly, this is a strong deterrent to anyone moving the point, but what if you are the surveyor and you want to make such an edit quickly and potentially for many shots (e.g., side shots, etc.)?!

It's annoying that there isn't more flexibility with the survey database editor, and it's even more annoying that you (or your unwitting colleagues) can easily "unlock [points] in drawing" and instantly break the linkage to the survey database without so much as a warning from Civil 3D that all of your data is now out of sync with the database and is local. 

Also, the survey database does not automatically synchronize updates to survey points. Why is this valuable, Autodesk? This should be handled in the same way other Civil 3D objects are dynamically updated when changes to the source object are made. 

Message 15 of 15
kkuecker26
in reply to: ryanlaughlin

I honestly don't see a problem with severing the survey database.  We only use it to process the field data and create survey figures that can be used as a breaklines for the surface.  After that, we have no more use for the survey database and never look at it again.

I export a C3D file of the drawing with the survey figures and points to remove the intelligence.  So in the end, we have a "Surface" dwg (that contains all the working pieces of an existing surface)  and a "Topo" dwg (that is just dumb linework).  There are several benefits to doing it this way.  The Surface dwg is better protected from unexperienced people accidentally changing things and the topo dwg is available for easy editing as needed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report