Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make a round surface and connect to exist surface?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
wvaughn2492
293 Views, 2 Replies

make a round surface and connect to exist surface?

Hello, I am trying to finish my final for advanced CAD. I am having some problems constructing a round surface from polyarcs and polylines. I also need to connect it to an existing surface. Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Neilw_05
in reply to: wvaughn2492

Civil 3D surfaces are based Triangulated Irregular Networks (aka "TINs"). Since the surface consists only of triangles, any curves used to define it must be approximated by a series of triangles with one edge being a cord along the arc. The shorter the cord length, the closer the fit to the arc. When a curve is added to the surface definition (usually as breaklines) the software automatically applies the cords using user defineable settings at the time they are added. You can learn more about the settings by searching the help system on the topic "tesselation" in the context of adding brealines to a surface.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 3
neilyj666
in reply to: wvaughn2492

Are you referring to Civil 3D surfaces or AutoCAD surfaces as they are very different?

If the latter you would be best posting in the AutoCAD forum

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report