AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Valued Mentor
engineer4life1979
Message 1 of 5 (129 Views)

looking for some suggestions on how to approach a fill evaluation design problem

129 Views, 4 Replies
11-18-2013 03:07 PM

i have a site which has a mound in the middle, and quite a few drainage swales running downhill from it, radiating in all directions. i want to calculate a rough estimate of how much fill is required to fill in all those swales (roughly). picture that the existing ridgeline "noses" will be left as is, and the valleys in between are the ones that I want to fill in. the project boundary (toe of slope) is the elevation that I want to hold.

i tried grading tools, and corridors as well, but could not come up with a good way to do this. what I ended up doing is i laid out some feature lines that follow the existing ridgelines down the hill (the banks of the swales), then created a feature line of the project boundary (draped on EG), and a feature line at the top of the mound as the highest elevation, created a TIN from those feature lines so that it triangulates across the swales, and then ran a volume comparison. not the best way i know, but could not think of a better way at that moment.

i will be interested in learning if there is a better way of doing this (i am sure there is one :smileyhappy:)

Civil 3D 2013 SP1, Win 7-64 bit
12GB RAM
Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 2 of 5 (121 Views)

Re: looking for some suggestions on how to approach a fill evaluation design pro

11-18-2013 03:36 PM in reply to: engineer4life1979

i want to calculate a rough estimate of how much fill is required to fill in all those swales (roughly). 

Make a copy of EG and delete the breaklines that represent the invert of those swales in the Copy, letting the ridgelines triangulate across, then compare the surfaces.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Valued Mentor
engineer4life1979
Message 3 of 5 (114 Views)

Re: looking for some suggestions on how to approach a fill evaluation design pro

11-18-2013 03:45 PM in reply to: fcernst
Fred, thank you for your reply. I think what I did is similar to what you are suggesting. instead of deleting the invert breaklines of the swales (i only had contours to build the EG), i traced over the top of banks of those swales, created feature lines draped on EG, then added them as breaklines to create a TIN. this TIN was basically the same as EG, except that the swales were not there anymore (triangulated across). then i compared this TIN and EG.
12GB RAM
Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 4 of 5 (110 Views)

11-18-2013 03:49 PM in reply to: engineer4life1979

Right, if you had the breaklines in the EG it would just be less work and steps to delete them.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Valued Mentor
engineer4life1979
Message 5 of 5 (75 Views)

11-18-2013 05:59 PM in reply to: fcernst
Fred, thanks again!
12GB RAM

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs