Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loading custom north arrow

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
5570 Views, 28 Replies

loading custom north arrow

In some templates I can't load a custom North arrow. AutoCAD can't find block.

The built-in north Arrows works fine. In a standard template from Autodesk there is no problem.

Wich settings should I change so I can select a block?

Kind regards,

Nico

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
wfberry
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not sure what you are doing, however, using Design Center, (DC) you should be able to drag you block into the same file that other Arrows are located.

Bill
Infrastructure Suite 2014

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous

In civil 2013 yo can use Dynamic North Arrows. This arrows are connectect with a viewport. if you rotate the arrow the viewport also rotate.

But in our corparate template i can't select our own block for this arrows. only te standard arrows.

And de drawing contains the block.

Message 4 of 29
jggerth

I'm seeing the same thing in c3d 2014.  The block exists in the drawing, but nothing shows up in he custom block dialog.

this is an inconsistent poroblem -- some drawings work, some work once, and some always work.  damifino what's triggering the difference.

Message 5 of 29
MarySeufert

For a workaround... You could RENAME the default standard block to your company's north arrow block name. Then you could insert the block from your library to redefine the linework.

Don't have the latest versions loaded to play with these dynamic north arrows so I have no idea if you can do this!

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 6 of 29
jggerth
in reply to: MarySeufert

I'd still like to be able to choose, but as a workaround, I inserted my company standard North into the "Map - North Arrows.dwg" , (in the Samples folder uncer Civil 3d) and it shows up in the list of built-In north arrows.

i can still browse to other drawings to grab a north arrow dynamic block fromn that tool (or any block really...) but Current Drawing is not displaying anything,

Message 7 of 29
Postmaster_G
in reply to: jggerth

Are you sure it is not in your drawing but really tiny?!

I tried to do the same with our N-arrow but it kept coming up as microscopic?

It would be really nice if there was a tutorial for using custom north arrows (in both metric and standard) this... is there a tutorial for this?

-Meow
Message 8 of 29
jggerth
in reply to: Postmaster_G

Once I  insert the block in Paperspace, it's properly visible and the correct size.  The problem is, that even though the block defintion is in the drawing (and can be placed using the INSERT command), the listing under "Current Drawing" is empty.

Adding my company standard block to the sample Map north arrow drawing works, but doesn't fix the problem.  I'd rather rely on using my template drawing for company standard blocks instead of using an OOTB sample that may or may not get overwritten with a Service patch or Repair/Reinstall

I haven't seen a tutorial  -- possibly look for something under the Map3D documentation?  since the command that actually places the arrow is a Map command.

Message 9 of 29
doni49

JGerth wrote:

I haven't seen a tutorial  -- possibly look for something under the Map3D documentation?  since the command that actually places the arrow is a Map command.

I was looking for info on making a custom north arrow too when I came across this thread.  I've found something that helped me figure it out.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesMAPC3D/GUID-D1604F87-290F-40E5-9116-0223...

There are two things this link doesn't tell you:

1. You need a dwg file that CONTAINS your North Arrow (that doesn't make any sense to me -- this should be more like the design center in which I could choose a directory that contains north arrow blocks).
  2. They didn't mention the step of creating an "Rottation Action Parameter".  When creating one of these, you're prompted to select a parameter -- normally you choose a rotation parameter but in this case, you choose the Rotation SET Parameter.

Having done that, it works like a charm.

I'm attaching the files I used for testing in case someone wants to see how.  MDCBlocks is the "Container File".

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 29
bryan

This dialog never populates for me when set to Current Drawing. Even when there is a correctly constructed north arrow block per the user guide. Empty all the time.

empty.jpg

Message 11 of 29
jggerth
in reply to: bryan

Yes,it'sunreliable.

See Doni49 and my message above

Message 12 of 29
prakowitz

It appears that, im trying to do the same thing as you. I want to use our company standard arrows rather than the acad arrows. have you figured out how to remove or change the path to redirect to your company standard arrows?

thanks
Message 13 of 29

2013 North Arrows are here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\Sample\Symbols\

Map - North Arrows.dwg

2014 North Arrows are here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\Sample\Symbols\

Map - North Arrows.dwg

2015 North Arrows are here: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Map\Sample\Symbols\Map - North Arrows.dwg

To customize to your own north arrows, make a copy of the file (for backup of OOTB version). Use the one with the same name "Map - North Arrows.dwg" as the command looks for this drawing from this location. Go in and modify an existing north arrow by getting into the block editor on one of them and bringing in your custom north arrow.

These north arrows use Dynamic block Rotation Parameters to function - it is critical to maintain the existing parameters when modifying. You should see one named "Map.View.Rotation". When you bring in your north arrow you'll need to modify the parameter set to pick up your inserted linework. (see screenshot). Once that's done, close the block editor and save.

Remove any north arrows from the file you don't want used. Save the file as same name and same location on the PC. Close and reopen C3D. North arrow should appear and function properly.

Note - that there have been issues found with these north arrows. I don't recall the specifics but it's something to do with coordinate systems.

Steve Hill
Civil Designer / .NET Developer
AutoCAD Certified Professional
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 14 of 29

We have our company stardard arrows and scales that are working. I would like to use this option as another way to insert our own blocks rather than the autodesk standard north arrow block.

I could go update or change the North arrows.dwg file in this location C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Map\Sample\Symbols\Map - North Arrows.dwg to include our company block. but that would also mean i would have to do this for 220 plus cpu's and then have to do it again if something were to change or everytime we got a new hire. So I was wondering there was a way to change this default location from the current location to a network path? So it would make manange this file a whole lot easier in the long run.

thanks

Message 15 of 29
redtransitconsultants

There's not a way to change the location from what I know. What I've done is built a system that handles these kinds of things. I use an acad.lsp and acaddie.lsp placed in the product support folder. CAD will automatically call these up on session / documents respectively. In these I have code that does a number of things.

You could easily place a file on the server and use the above method to programmatically copy from server to the user machine on each run. Of course the initial setup of the system would require install on those 220 machines - but it's possible

Steve Hill
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 16 of 29
redtransitconsultants

Sorry, acad.lsp and acaddoc.lsp for above post. Auto correct got me 😕

Steve Hill
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 17 of 29
btillett
in reply to: bryan

I am not sure why everyone is ignoring the question. But if you want to populate the from current drawing box when using the North Arrow Layout Element on the Layout Tools ribbon all you have to do is temporarly unload all your Xrefs.  You do not need to detach them simply unload them for the moment it takes you to select the block from your current drawing and than reload the Xrefs.

Boris
Message 18 of 29
btillett
in reply to: btillett

Warning. Using the North Arrow to set the rotation in the viewports will cause problems after just a few viewports in the same dwg - Civil 3D 2015 SP 3.

Boris
Message 19 of 29
jggerth
in reply to: btillett

@btillett wrote:

I am not sure why everyone is ignoring the question. But if you want to populate the from current drawing box when using the North Arrow Layout Element on the Layout Tools ribbon all you have to do is temporarly unload all your Xrefs.  You do not need to detach them simply unload them for the moment it takes you to select the block from your current drawing and than reload the Xrefs.

Nice workaround.

It's not that we're ignoring the question, it's just that the functionality of the routine is borked.  Badly designed, hardwired names, poorly thought out, un-documented, and unreliable.  Map3d (which is where this command comes from) seems to be neglected, and IMO the developers who created this functionality are off doing other things, and no one in Adesk management really cares enough about Map to fix it.  After all, it's not cloudy enough for the C-Suite.

Message 20 of 29
scheel

Hi,

yes, it's a little static that the names of the two Parameters are fixed.

But that is not real a problem.

1. You have first to fix the right Units inside the drawing, for example meters or Inch.
  2. You define your northarrow as a block with a name you want.
  3. Open the blockeditor and select your new block
  4. Place a rotation parameter beginning at the base point with a Default Rotation of 0,
    and name it "Map.View.Rotation" and add a rotation action to that parameter.
    The objects to rotate are all objects in the block.
  5. Place a linear parameter beginning at the base point and name it "Map.NorthArrow.Scale" and
    add a scale action to that parameter.
    The objects to scale are all objects in the block.
    Use the property Manager to set the count of grips from 2 to 1.
  6. Save the block by closing the block editor.

Now you will find the northarrow as userdefined inside the actuall drawing. Map and Civil controll

the exists of both parameter before listing.

You can also use a external drawing including all your own northarrows to insert your own northarrow

in a drawing.

I have attached the URL of a screencast I prepare in german. But it shows the steps I describe before.

Thorsten Scheel

Contelos GmbH - http://www.contelos.de

Thorsten Scheel
Contelos GmbH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report