Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leica xchange for civil 3d 2011

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
pardo242724
4737 Views, 22 Replies

leica xchange for civil 3d 2011

Ok i have a Leica TPS 1200 and GPS 1200 data collectors and Civil 3D 2011...i would like to find out all the information i can as to how to get the most efficient data transfer methods to and from my data collectors to C3D!!! i have researched the web on Leica Xchange but that seems to be with earlier releases of C3D (32 bit) .... would love something like Trimble Link where i have a full blown ribbon filled with options in Civil 3D!!! what are my options? or better yet, where do i find info on how to educate myself in this area? the Autodesk website or the Leica? thanx in advance!!!!!

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Bennos1
in reply to: pardo242724

hi,

Are you using 64bit? If not have a look on the leica website >downloads. The leica xchange for 2010 now works for 2011 32bit.

I find xchange more useful for uploading alignments, tin etc than downloading from the 1200. I convert the dbx to ascii and/or xml to bring in points and linework to c3d. Not sure where is the best place to get info on this. Try both c3d help files and leica / google.

i still wish there was better ways to bring in linework than is offered in c3d. I'm not sure what that is though.

Message 3 of 23
pardo242724
in reply to: Bennos1

thanx! but no am using Windows 7- 64 bit for my C3D 2011 platform....boooooo...but there is a way to convert the dbx file to ascii so i can do linework but as far as getting entire alignments or cross sections to transfer to and from C3D there isnt a solution available now?

thanx again!

Message 4 of 23
Bennos1

hi

the solution you could use is -  export alignments, profiles, tins etc out of c3d in xml format. then get a copt of Leica Geo Office (LGO) use the "design to field" function to convert the xml to dbx files. There were free verisons of LGO upto version 4. Your Leica contact should be able to supply you with one

Message 5 of 23
pardo242724

i would like to have the ability to make changes to the existing cross section in the field, kind of like the Road Runner software....is anything like that available with the Leica LGO?

again, thanx i am a rookie at all of this!!

Message 6 of 23
Bennos1

Hi,

i'm not aware of that there is that functionality but I only have the free version. In later versions it may be there. But LGO is PC based software not instrument based, so when you say "in the field" this is not LGO. I didn't know you could change x-sections RR in the field? I've have used the alignment editor on the instrument but found that very limilted.

Message 7 of 23
bcamber

I've been using the Leica System 1200 in the field now for a few years and have not found a way to export x-sections created in alignment tool-kit to Civil3D. You have the choice of creating your alignment/profile/ x-section on the controller using Alignment Tool-Kit which gives you the ability to edit in the field or you create them in Civil3D and export the road geometry to your collector using Leica xchange and have no ability to edit in the field. I have found after gaining experience in Civil3D that creating in Civil3D and exporting is ultimately quicker and easier than doing it all on the collector using Alignment Tool-Kit.

Message 8 of 23
bcamber
in reply to: bcamber

As far as finding more info on Leica xchange, I have found it to be a bit of a catch 22. Nobody at Autodesk seems to know much about it and the people at Leica don't know much about Civil3D. In saying that I don't have a lot of patience in surfing the www for answers. Good luck.

Message 9 of 23
pardo242724

haaaa! all great info thanks a TON! i agree with the impatient web browser this is totally FRUSTRATING!! someone at Autodesk or Leica needs to write a "best practice" method for utilizing the combined technology to it's fullest instead of saying....hmmm..well this is one way to do it...but i dont think it does this...but you can sure try it!

the Road Runner software in field is highly touted by our construction division but again they use CAiCE with it...we give them the design surface in a station offset elevation format

well i will keep digging, thanks again!!!

Message 10 of 23
pcnaughton

Can anyone help me with the command to import Leica x change into C3d 2010??? We have downloaded the 2010 version from the Leica website but can't seem to find the command to import it so it displays in the menu bar as with 2008 ( command used to be leicamenu)?????

Thanks

Message 11 of 23
Bennos1
in reply to: pcnaughton

the command is the same. you could unistall and reinstall xchange. I have seen this before, it would not work then after some reinstallls (yes multiples) it just works.

Regards

Ben

Message 12 of 23
pcnaughton

Thanks for the answer Ben, we'll keep trying

Message 13 of 23
Survey_Rhett

pcnaughton, did you get it working?

I am trying to install leica xchange on C3D 2011, have the menu in the menu bar but the buttons don't do anything 😕 Have uninstalled and reinstalled and same thing?

Any ideas?

Message 14 of 23
JRedell
in reply to: Survey_Rhett

For those that are running 64bit OS's and trying to get XChange working......forget about it. Xchange only works with 32 bit installs and Leica is re-writing the whole thing to work with 64bit. Also, LGO "Design to Field" doesn't support 64bit either so you're hosed if you want to use any of that stuff to create Roadrunner jobs.

JRedell, PLS
Erlandsen
Civil3d 2012
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
Win7 64bit
Quadro FX1700 (Driver 265.70)
8GB RAM
Message 15 of 23
Bennos1
in reply to: JRedell

Hi JRedell,

We did have trouble installing both xchange and LGO on 64bit os but we did get it to work. We had to ensure (we downloaded) the .net framework was installed prior to installing xchange and LGO. After we had trouble installing the Leica stuff initially, we only persevered because our Leica agent insisted it would work on 64 bit. (We are in Australia if it makes any difference?)

Cheers,

Ben

Message 16 of 23
JRedell

Interesting, the Leica folks I spoke with said it wasn't ready for 64-bit at this time, but that was about a month ago. Typically the US is the last to be allowed to download new stuff.

JRedell, PLS
Erlandsen
Civil3d 2012
Win7 64bit
8GB RAM
Message 17 of 23
pcnaughton
in reply to: JRedell

We are runnig 64 bit and have been able to get leica exchange to work in 2010. We have not been able to get the drop down menu to work but by typing leicaimport or leicaexport into the command line the program will run 

Message 18 of 23
Survey1ebmud

That would make sense since C3D 2010 is a 32 bit program.  So when it is running on a 64 bit machine, it is still running in 32 bit emulation mode.

Message 19 of 23
vcuesta

hello

anyone know if they have taken the application to work in C3D 2012 64 bit, I do not get installed on my pc

in another pc, I have no problems working with 32bit

thanks

Message 20 of 23
JRedell
in reply to: vcuesta

Not that I have heard. I haven't seen anything on xchange for awhile now. If they've got a fix for it (and LGO Design to Field) I'd sure like to know about it though!!

JRedell, PLS
Erlandsen
Civil3d 2012
Win7 64bit
8GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report