Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layers in xrefs

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
lgs663
746 Views, 10 Replies

layers in xrefs

is there a way to avoid new layers created in the base xref from showing up in already created layout sheets

thanks so much for the help

lgs

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: lgs663

some lisp program could help but I am lispiliterate.

you can set up a layer standards file that can do all kinds of stuff but I have not used it in a while but it is worth looking into.

you can set the layer setting to notify of new layer, on open, during plot, etc and you at that time are presented with a list of "unreconciled" layers that you can then freeze or leave on then  reconcile. this proces would continue to go on as long as new layer are created.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Adam_Farnsworth

When a new layer is present in an xref, the Unreconciled Layer popup should appear.  You can then freeze all new layers, then reconcile them.  This will keep new layers frozen in your drawings.

Also, I try and teach all my coworkers that if an xref is already in heavy use, and they need to create a new layer, that before they save the xref, that they'd freeze the layer.  This way it will at least show up frozen, but you'll still need to reconcile.

--Adam

Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Message 4 of 11
dgordon

If you freeze the layer in the base drawing then save the base drawing.   then it will be frozen upon being opened in any drawing that references it.

This would require the layer to be unfrozen in the drawing that you want it to show up in.

Dan

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 5 of 11
lgs663

this might be a good thing for Autodesk to put into a comming release - maybe an option in layermanager to keep layer frozen in any xrefs

Message 6 of 11
Neilw_05

In cases where a drawing is used as a reference in many places, we may want new layers to show in some and not in others, so having a global option is not the answer. I think that Autodesk has attempted to accomodate the situation via the Reconcile feature. I don't think there is an ideal solution.

However I do wish Autocad's Visretain variable were enhanced so that it could be applied to nested references. Then we could set up base files consisting entirely of references, set the layer states as needed for a plan set, and then when that base file is referenced into various plan sets they all share the same layer state of the basefile. Any adjustment to the layer state of the basefile gets propogated to all the sheet files.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 11
Adam_Farnsworth
in reply to: Neilw_05

I love that idea Neil!

--Adam

Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Message 8 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

I believe SSM incorporates that ability: if you save views with layer states desired in plans; when you drag and drop the views into a plan via SSM the layer states are honored.

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I don't have SSM in our LDT 2004 so I haven't used it to any extent. What do you do if you need to change the layer state after the sheets have been cut Joe?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 11
Joe-Bouza

I haven't tried but it would be nice if you only had to update the layer state in the base drawing

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

That's where I was going with Visretain. There would be no need to create and update layer states. It would be WYSIWYG. I'm interested in knowing if you can update the sheet files Joe. If you can run a test let us know what you find.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report