Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layer problems

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
capt.crayola
716 Views, 9 Replies

layer problems

So here's a little weirdness I've been experiencing with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 recently.... I copied some simple linework over from my current drawing to a file I've got XRef'd into my current drawing. The layer copied over fine, color etc. However, I can't seem to get it do display - the XRef layer is turned on, not frozen and the XRef itself is on it's own layer and is displaying fine, but the copied layer isn't....Any suggestions??

As a footnote, I've also been having difficulty with my layer properties manager. I'll isolate a layer in the properties manager, but the layer doesn't isolate - when I look at the layers using the pulldown in the ribbon, all of the layers are still on.....?!?!

Footnote #2 -Please forego any comments regarding the 'newbie' factor - I've got 17 year experience, and teach AutoCAD myself....

Sean

Dell Precision M6700 laptop
Intel Core i7-3740QM quad core 2.7Ghz with 16 GB Ram
NVidia K400M 2GB video, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: capt.crayola

@capt.crayola wrote:

I'll isolate a layer in the properties manager, but the layer doesn't isolate - when I look at the layers using the pulldown in the ribbon, all of the layers are still on.....?!?!

Is it possible that the Layer Settings in Layer Manager are set to "Lock and Fade" and not "Off" ?

In this case the layers are locked when isolated instead of turned off (which is also the default setting).

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 10
rkmcswain

1. If you pasted (or inserted) the linework as a block, the block itself resides on a layer that could be frozen in your parent drawing.

2. Does it act any differently if you use the LAYISO command instead?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 10
capt.crayola
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

@capt.crayola wrote:

I'll isolate a layer in the properties manager, but the layer doesn't isolate - when I look at the layers using the pulldown in the ribbon, all of the layers are still on.....?!?!

Is it possible that the Layer Settings in Layer Manager are set to "Lock and Fade" and not "Off" ?

In this case the layers are locked when isolated instead of turned off (which is also the default setting).

No, if that were the case, the layers would fade, but there's no visible change - even after a regenall

Sean

Message 5 of 10
capt.crayola
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:
1. If you pasted (or inserted) the linework as a block, the block itself resides on a layer that could be frozen in your parent drawing.

2. Does it act any differently if you use the LAYISO command instead?

1. The linework was inserted as simple linework - there's a block with it, but none of the lines show up in my current drawing.

2. Yes, I can still isolate the layers using LAYISO, which I regularly do anyway... the layer issue only shows up in the Layer property manager - I don't know if the situations are related, but it's the only other related issue I'm having....

Sean

Message 6 of 10
LeafRiders

If you set your LAYERDLGMODE to "0" and proceed to use the old school layer manager does this fix the problem?

Message 7 of 10
Pointdump

CC,

"Please forego any comments regarding the 'newbie' factor - I've got 17 year experience, and teach AutoCAD myself...."

Sniff! You're asking for help, but will be offended if anyone suggests something beneath your station? Well, I consider myself to be a permanent student, even though I've got as many years "experience" as you. So let me offend you:

1. First, tell everyone what version of AutoCAD you're using, what service pac, what operating system. And describing a problem is a good start, but sometimes you need to add a Screengrab or even post the drawing.

2. Because of the breadth of experience and use by members here, you're going to get a selection of ideas from easy to complex. That's the great thing about this Forum.

3. Consider all ideas, politely and graciously. I can't tell you how many times I've fixed a problem by a Regen or "turning it off, then turning it on again."

Now, to your problem:

"I copied some simple linework over from my current drawing to a file I've got XRef'd into my current drawing."

That sounds like a possible circular reference. I haven't done much with XRef's, but could it be that you just need to save both the XRef and your drawing, and then re-open your drawing?
Do you have any unreconciled layers? I just learned last week that there was such a thing as unreconciled layers, and I don't know what problems they can cause, but now I look for the Yellow Exclamation Thingy in the lower right Status Bar.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 10
capt.crayola
in reply to: LeafRiders

@LeafRiders wrote:

If you set your LAYERDLGMODE to "0" and proceed to use the old school layer manager does this fix the problem?

good thought I never considered this- unfortunately no change...

Sean

Message 9 of 10
capt.crayola
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

CC,

"Please forego any comments regarding the 'newbie' factor - I've got 17 year experience, and teach AutoCAD myself...."

Sniff! You're asking for help, but will be offended if anyone suggests something beneath your station? Well, I consider myself to be a permanent student, even though I've got as many years "experience" as you. So let me offend you:

1. First, tell everyone what version of AutoCAD you're using, what service pac, what operating system. And describing a problem is a good start, but sometimes you need to add a Screengrab or even post the drawing.

2. Because of the breadth of experience and use by members here, you're going to get a selection of ideas from easy to complex. That's the great thing about this Forum.

3. Consider all ideas, politely and graciously. I can't tell you how many times I've fixed a problem by a Regen or "turning it off, then turning it on again."

Now, to your problem:

"I copied some simple linework over from my current drawing to a file I've got XRef'd into my current drawing."

That sounds like a possible circular reference. I haven't done much with XRef's, but could it be that you just need to save both the XRef and your drawing, and then re-open your drawing?
Do you have any unreconciled layers? I just learned last week that there was such a thing as unreconciled layers, and I don't know what problems they can cause, but now I look for the Yellow Exclamation Thingy in the lower right Status Bar.

Dave

1. You sir, read FAR too much into my post.... I was just trying to forgo endless comments like 'did you turn the layer on.....'

2. I was careless to not put any Particulars, my apologies - I'm using Civil 3D 2013 SP2 on a Dell Precision M6700 laptop with Intel Core i7-3740QM quad core 2.7Ghz with 16 GB Ram, NVidia K400M 2GB video, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

3. I do receive all solutions politely and graciously, and any assistance from other experts is GREATLY appreciated. Further, as a teacher I do learn as much from my students than they do from me, however in troubleshooting AutoCAD behaviour that I deem odd and have attempted the 'obvious' and unorthodox to solve the problem, I may have been more abrupt than intended - again my apologies.

thank you for your reply - and unfortunately the circular reference isn't valid in this case - although the drawings are circular, having attached them as 'overlay' into each other would forgo this problem generally, but we're talking about simple autocad objects - lines, circles etc. Your comment about unreconciled layers is a good one, but alas already tried.

Sean

Message 10 of 10
capt.crayola

thank you Gentlemen - your suggestions of an 'old school' approach made me get 'back to basics' as it were.

When all else fails with XRef's - DETACH and RE-ATTACH said XRef..... it seems to have cleared up the problem (for now at least)

Sean

Sean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report