Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layer freeze issue with structures using outer part boundary

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
sfore
911 Views, 14 Replies

layer freeze issue with structures using outer part boundary

Can anyone offer a solution to this one...see pic.

I try freezing my proposed storm structures inside Viewport for Existing Conditions sheet.  My proposed DI's freeze because they use a block (in structure style).  My proposed headwalls use the outer part boundary from catalog.  BUT both DI and Headwall Style Component Layers are set to C-STRM-STRC. 

In the pic for Existing Conditions Layout, you see a white headwall boundary.  In proposed layout, you see a magenta headwall boundary.

I know what its doing, but why?  It's using the Object Layer and not the component layers for the headwall.

So you know, I didn't see another way to logically set up Object Layers for Pipes and Structures that contain Existing and Proposed Water, Storm, and Sanitary.  My Object Layers have Pipes set to C-UTIL-PIPE and Structures set to C-UTIL-STRC, BUT the Component Layers inside the style are specific.  Example: Existing Storm Structures and Pipes have layers such as V-STRM-PIPE and V-STRM-STRC.  Proposed Storm would have Component Layers such as C-STRM-PIPE and C-STRM-STRC.  The Object Layer for both existing and proposed use C-UTIL-PIPE and C-UTIL-STRC.

I know I'm not the only one thats fought this to come up with a logical way to use Object Layers for pipes and structures.  Thoughts??

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
troma
in reply to: sfore

I see the pictures, but I'm not sure what you want to see...can you explain what you're aiming for in a little more detail?

My one thought: using vpfreeze and clicking on the object will freeze the object layer.  You may want to freeze the componant layer (that's set in the style) instead.  Do this in the layer drop-down / dialoge box.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 15
sfore
in reply to: troma

I want the proposed headwall froze in my existing layout.

I did freeze my component layers...C-STRM-STRC and C-STRM-PIPE in existing layout. Thats why you don't see the magenta lines and structures in the existing layout.

Thats what I was trying to show and explain about the object layers.  I can't freeze the Object Layer (C-UTIL-STRC) because my existing structures will also freeze.  That's the dilema. 

Message 4 of 15
sfore

to add to my reply...I know I can simply grip the headwall structure and manually place it on the C-STRM-STRC and problem is solved, BUT we want things to be as automated as possible because we're in the process of setting up layer states and we have newbies who don't understand object layers and component layers and we want to streamline things as much as possible. 

Somehow the structures that don't use a block won't use the component layers fully when you freeze the component layers.  It resorts back to the Object Layer which in my case is white and that's what you see in the pic.

Message 5 of 15
troma

Hmm, I've never used a structure without a block in plan.  Hope someone else jumps in here...

Mark Green

Message 6 of 15
sfore

So, you have a block for all the various headwalls, wingwalls, rectangular junction structures, flared ends etc...?  I tried using my DI Block in the past for say a 24x36 and it distorted the text 'DI' that is in the block.  My structure styles are set to use 'fixed scale from part size'.  I didn't like how it stretched or scrunched the text inside the block, so inside my parts list for some parts that are not uniform in size (mostly the rectangular junction structures), I told it to use a structure style which is set to use outer part boundary from the catalog.

Message 7 of 15
troma

Nope, we just use a null structure and draw whatever we want.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 15
jmayo-EE

When you execute layfrz did you type S for settings and try changing the block selection? There are three options block, entity and none. See if one will work on the parts in question.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
John_N

Check the layer of the applied strcture style and make sure that layer is frozen.  Sometimes those express tools do not work with C3D objects.structurestyle.png

Message 10 of 15
sfore
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Just tried all 3 options...didn't work.  When I selected the proposed wingwall to freeze inside the existing layout viewport, all my existing and proposed structures turned off because they are all on the C-UTIL-STRC Object Layer.

That's what puzzles me about this wingwall, even though I have my Component Layers frozen for all my proposed lines and structures, the wingwall shows up because it doesn't use a block - it uses outer part boundary from catalog.  My DI's (not in pic) did freeze, but they use a block. Also, my Sanitary Stuctures (MH's) also froze because they use a block.  I just basically activated the Viewport, opened up my layers and toggled VP Freeze 'off' for all layers that contain C-STRM... and C-SSWR...They all froze except the infamous wingwall and it resorted back to white which is what the Object Layer is set to.  If you saw pic in first post, you'll notice that it's actually magenta because that's what C-STRM-STRC is set to.

I'm stumped, and the only thing I know to do at this point is manually place any proposed storm structure (that doesn't use a block) on the C-STRM-STRC layer just to get it to turn off inside my existing viewport.

Message 11 of 15
sfore
in reply to: John_N

My component layer (C-STRM-STRC) is frozen.  I didn't use express tools to freeze initially anyways.  the problem lies within the Object Layer and how the structure styles that use outer part boundary - NOT a block, still remain even though the component layer was frozen.

Message 12 of 15
John_N

I would like to try and recreate this issue.  Which version are you using?  Is the structure in the current drawing or in an Xref?

Message 13 of 15
sfore

C3D 2013.  No XREF's.  Good luck with this one. 

Message 14 of 15
John_N

Looks like a bug.  Try turning off the structure in the structure style and turning on the 3D Solid.  That should fix it.

Message 15 of 15
sfore

Excellent!  That worked.  Kudos to you.

Thanks, Shawn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report