Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lableing and properties dialogue UCS by user

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
vern25966
848 Views, 9 Replies

lableing and properties dialogue UCS by user

I have established a user coordinate system to match a record drawing.

I still need the World coordinate system to match future survey field work. Smiley Frustrated

1. How can I set the properties dialogue box to report information in the current ucs (bearings and coordinates)?

2. How can I get the labeling of lines, and curves to do the same?  Everything I have labled is in the World coordinates and I need it in the user coordinates.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dgordon
in reply to: vern25966

Civil 3D objects and labels only respond to Word UCS. They will not work at all with a user coordinate system.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 10
AllenJessup

As Dan has pointed out. UCS in not usable in Civil 3D. Some people use it for MText and Dimension rotation but I don't allow that because if a user is careless they can draw things in the UCS that don't match the WCS.

There are a couple of options.You can maintain 2 drawings. One in the Survey system and one in the Map system. Obviously this can lead to problems if the wrong drawing is worked on.

You could Xref the Survey drawing into a blank drawing and rotate the Xref to the Map system. Use label between points to label the lines in the Map system. The advantage to this is that anyone trying to work in the drawing will realize that it's just an Xref.

I don't know if there is a legal constraint for you. We would just publish the map in the Survey system unless there were very good reasons not to. We're usually in State Plane now so we stick with that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
vern25966

Thank you for your responses,

I understand your points about people screwing up perfectly good drawings with different UCS settings. 

So how are we to lable record information with automation?  I suppose I could wblock out, rotate the result and lable it, but then how do I get it back in the right spot with the correct lables?  Once it is rotated back, the bearings all change.

Some children can't play with leggos without putting them up their nose or pinching themselves, should we banish leggos from the planet for this reason?

Message 5 of 10
AllenJessup

Create an Express that adds the difference to the General Segment Direction. I've never done it myself. But I've read about it being done.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
vern25966
in reply to: AllenJessup

I'm pretty new to Civil3D, but have about 17 years experience with R14. I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks, Vern
Message 7 of 10
AllenJessup

OK. On the Settings Tab in Toolspace. Expand General > Label Style > Line. At the bottom of the Line Label Style list, right click on Expression and select new. Create a new Expression and use the Insert Property Icon exb.PNG to add {General Segment Direction}. Then add the rotation to Map as Radians. I've used 10° as an example. Be sure to set the Format Result to Direction.

ex1.PNG

Next copy your standard line label as a base style for the "rotated" style. On the Layout tab of the Style Composer set the Component name to Bearing [assuming your using bearings] and hit the ellipsis button to open the Component Editor. In the Properties dropdown you should select your Expression. Use the arrow next to the Properties dropdown to either add the Expression or Replace the whole label. In my case I added the word Deed and then the Expression.

ex2.PNG

That yields a label style like this:

exp3.PNG

This is a little crude. But I put it together quickly as an example. If you work with your style a little I'm sure you'll come up with something acceptable. One advantage to doing it this way is that if ever the rotation to Map changes. You simply have to edit the Expression.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup

I'll attache the second screenshot for better visibility.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup

vern25966 wrote:

Some children can't play with leggos without putting them up their nose or pinching themselves, should we banish leggos from the planet for this reason?

I'm sure some would. Just like some would ban soft drinks above a certain size. A pinched finger may mean some crying. If they're really ambitious one up the nose may mean a trip to the Doctor or Hospital. After getting a project that had been made worthless by a UCS, I decided my children couldn't play with them anymore.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
stantecryan

Do you know how to alter the Parcel Map Check Report settings to match these

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report