Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

joining lines and arcs creates spline

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
nostupidquestions
12244 Views, 13 Replies

joining lines and arcs creates spline

i want them to make plines not splines. the drawing was created in microstation so that may be the issue. is there a fix? thanks.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
wfberry
in reply to: nostupidquestions

Two commands can or may work for you:

Splinedit

Pedit

Bill

Message 3 of 14
nostupidquestions
in reply to: wfberry

when i join some of the lines with an arc it turns into a pline. others turn into spline. i don't know why. once it's a spline then i can't use it and converting it to a pline makes a bazillion little segments along the arc. is there a setting somewhere?

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 4 of 14

Are some of those arcs actually ellipses?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You of course will need to replace the ellipses with arcs or use Flatten on them.

If you draw ellipses regularly you may want to set pellipse to 1 instead of 0. 1 will create a pline ellipse, 0 will create an ellipse.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Flatten does not work on ellipses...maybe a dxf export will.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 14

nope. not ellipses. all at 0'. i just had to redraw them to get them to join correctly. must be a microstation thing. thanks anyway.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 8 of 14

@nostupidquestions wrote:

nope. not ellipses. all at 0'. i just had to redraw them to get them to join correctly. must be a microstation thing. thanks anyway.

When importing a DGN AutoCAD creates splines for 3d polylines. I'm not sure if it does the same for whatever 2d polylines are in MS. As far as I know, all arcs from a DGN are imported as ellipses, so other than recreating them you might be out of luck. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 14

Have the same problem. Looked at the arc properties and saw that normal Z was -1.

Did the 3dmirror thing and now i can join them without turning the whole thing into a spline.

Message 10 of 14

It seems like its the Join command that causes this. Using the pedit command still works like it should. AutoCAD please fix this. Join is easier to type than pedit

Message 11 of 14

I've had the same problem.

I've fixed it by: explode (a few times) till they are all just lines and arcs, afther this use flatten. After this you can use Join without them becomming Splines. (worked for me)

Must be an DGN error, because this also was originally a DGN file.

Message 12 of 14

I've had the same issue before.  Usually I just join a piece or two at a time checking it stays a pline.  Eventually I'll find one or two arcs that for what ever reason cause it to become a spline.  I'll just redraw those.

Message 13 of 14
punisher
in reply to: cstringer-ns

I just wanted to confirm that elevations present in entities using the join command seems to be the culprit. Make sure that all your Z values are common. This is regardless of where the entities originate from.  I joined arcs and lines that had differing Z-values, and it created a spline.

As for Microstation, OMG what a disaster. Bringing those translated entities under control is a nightmare.

Cheers,

John Evans

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 14 of 14

Spline edit. 

Convert to Polyline

Precision = 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report