AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
auzzie2776
Message 1 of 7 (741 Views)

joining feature lines

741 Views, 6 Replies
10-25-2011 11:53 AM

G'day folks, im running civil 3d 2010, tunns (tonnes) of ram, oodles of power and a great machine all round, all the latest service packs and hotfixes.

Im having a issue with joining feature lines, i have a few feature lines that when i join the first one it works great, but when i try to do the second one, the machine locks up. I have tried different combinations of this and am unable to get past the first join.

The feature lines arent complex and have maybe 4-5 verticies each. There really is nothing special about this, just really odd it happens. I have tried offsetting, deleting the original, then offsetting back in place, all to no avail.

any suggestions,

Cheers

Jason

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 7 (735 Views)

Re: joining feature lines

10-25-2011 12:07 PM in reply to: auzzie2776

Hi,

>> any suggestions

Copy these 5 feature lines to a new drawing. Save this new drawing and try it once more to concatenate them once more.

If the problem is the same, upload this drawing so we can look into it.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 3 of 7 (731 Views)

10-25-2011 12:32 PM in reply to: auzzie2776

Are you positive the endpoints coincide perfectly? No overhangs? I have only seen this command fail when the linework didn't quite line-up.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 4 of 7 (723 Views)

10-25-2011 01:07 PM in reply to: auzzie2776

You may need to snap one endpoint of the feature line to the other depending on the rounding of significant figures of the elevations of the lines.  I do this, as John stated, when things don't line up exactly.

Distinguished Contributor
auzzie2776
Message 5 of 7 (718 Views)

10-25-2011 01:10 PM in reply to: azrdgldr

yes, i set the precision to 5 decimals, even set the tolerance correctly. i checked the endpoint elevations to make sure they all matched. I even moved the lines to 0,0 to check to see if that made a difference.

i have found a workaround, but it would be nice if there is a solution. i have found someething on the knowledge base, but it doesnt apply to my situation.

any other ideas

jason

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 7 (715 Views)

10-25-2011 01:14 PM in reply to: auzzie2776

Hi,

>> i have found a workaround

And to get the optimum out of the sight of a forum it would be great to get your workaround described :smileywink:

Is it possible to get the drawing? You want to have ideas (other as you got yet) but I cannot reproduce your situation and my feeling is, you have a very special one :smileywink:

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 7 of 7 (714 Views)

10-25-2011 01:23 PM in reply to: auzzie2776

I wouldn't rely on the listing of elevations as shown in the listings of the properties or list command.  These always round up to the decimal format you have.  I have seen 0.0000 and 0.0000 and they still don't join.  But when I snap one endpoint to the other, it usually takes care of it.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs