Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inserting survey points

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
CADmgrMike
671 Views, 9 Replies

inserting survey points

Is there a way to insert points from a survey database by selecting an area rather than inserting all the points?

I seem to recall you could do this in LDT, but can't find any method in C3D.

Thanks.

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
EJMartinez
in reply to: CADmgrMike

There is one way to do it.
Just insert all the points in that database.
then go to the prospector tab in toolspace and create a new point group and name it. then right click on that point group > Select Properties > Under "Include" Tab > Select "with numbers matching" > Select "set in drawing" and select the area of points you want. Next export that point group to a txt file. Then go back to survey tab and create a new survey database, and import that point file you just created. Make sure you edit your survey database settings first.

that's my way of doing it
Message 3 of 10
CADmgrMike
in reply to: EJMartinez

That gives me an idea.

Couldn't you make the point style and label style for the new point group a no display, put it at the top of the list, and then delete all the point showing in the drawing?

Mike Porter
Message 4 of 10
odoshi

Typically, you bring all the points into the drawing and then make your Point Groups. You can make a point group by number range, which when using the pick method, you specify the window.

Then you would just isolate that point group and hide the remaining points, or erase from drawing.

I feel your pain that there is no direct way to do it. (That's why I wrote a White Mountain COGO). *shameless plug*

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 5 of 10
EJMartinez

Yea you could do that also. that's how I arrange my points. a create a no display and change the point style and label style like you said. then delete the other points that you have no use for.
Message 6 of 10
bobwesterman

You can do it with a survey query. Defining the query is a bit difficult. Especially if the area you're looking for is not rectangular.
Message 7 of 10
_Hathaway

This NEEDS to be included in past and future releases. It's very useful.
Message 8 of 10
CADmgrMike
in reply to: bobwesterman

Survey query sounds interesting. I'll have to learn more about that.

Most of the time, the area I need is rectangular.

Mike Porter
Message 9 of 10
doni49

You currently have the points in a survey DB.  You want to put SOME of those points in another file (you're not creating a new Survey DB or modifying the existing one).  Correct?

I don't know of a way to do it directly.  But this will accomplish what you're after.

1. Create new dwg file.
  2. Make sure coordinate zone is set correctly.
  3. Toolspace>Survey tab>Right click on Survey Point Groups>Insert Into dwg
  4. The above will add ALL the points to your new dwg file (it creates cogo points not new survey points).
  5. Delete the ones you don't want.
  6. Type in COPYBASE.
  7. Select 0,0 as your base point.  Select your points.
  8. Go the file you DO want these points in and paste them in (at 0,0 as the insertion point).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 10
doni49

@CADmgrMike wrote:

That gives me an idea.

Couldn't you make the point style and label style for the new point group a no display, put it at the top of the list, and then delete all the point showing in the drawing?

I guess I didn't read far enough down the thread.  Assigning points to a non-display group would be my preferred method.  Having read your message, I thought you didn't want the points in the file at all.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report