Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing GIS data

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
amyd
9508 Views, 8 Replies

importing GIS data

Hi,

I'm working in C3D 2009 and I have received some GIS data files that I would like to import. I don't work with GIS files in my daily work so I am not familiar with them. Although I have an idea of what kind of information can be stored in the GIS files. I've managed to get the data into my drawing using mapimport, but how do I know that I have sucessfully inserted all of the information that was sent to me?

I was given shx, shp, dbf, idx, prj, sbn, sbx, and xml files. All I have in my drawing are polylines that have a little bit of extra information when the properties box is displayed.  It just seems like a lot of files to be sent to only receive a polyline. Although all of the files except the shp files have only 1kb file sizes, and the shp file is 400 kb. So perhaps I was just sent extra files?  If anyone could help me out that would be great!

thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ccoles
in reply to: amyd

I'm also a noob when dealing with GIS data, but I found that using 'Data Connect' to connect to .shp files is a much better method than Mapimport. Once connected, by opening the 'Data Tables', I am able to review the data associated with the GIS files. The ploylines, points, and shapes are displayed in Civil 3D, but are treated differently and still interact with the GIS data files. You can also modify the data by using the 'Check-out' and 'Check-in' features, but since I'm not looking to do that, I stay away from it.

Use the 'Data Connect' function, connect to the .shp file, then add to map. The data should show up georeferenced correctly in your workspace. You may need to zoom-extents if your not viewing the project area. Click on one of the GIS objects, right-click, and choose 'view Data Table' to bring up the data table for the other files associated with the .shp file. One other feature I noticed that is nice is to locate in the data table an object of interest, click its line, and it highlights it's location in your workspace. You can also run querys and filters to turn on and off objects that you wish to see and evaluate.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 9
Murph_Map

The only files you need are the shp (geometry), dbf (the data) shx (index the links the shp to the dbf), prg (the projection/coordinate system). When you import the file(s) and tell it to create Object Data you can view the field names.

To get an idea of what is include with the files, you can drag and drop the shp file into the editor window of a blank dwg from windows explorer. Then zoom extends, click on a feature and view data table. Opps, with 2009 you need to open the map task pane (MAPWSPACE = on) the highlight the shp in the display manger tab then click the Table Icon to see the data.  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 9
amyd
in reply to: Murph_Map

thanks! i've tried both methods. it looks like i've just been sent a lot of files for a little information.

Message 5 of 9
Hidden_Brain

you may have a bunch of files with the same name but different extensions (.shp, .shx, .sbn etc). this may help you understand how all these constitute one shapefile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile

Message 6 of 9
sfmaximo

Hi,

I've the same problem right now and just need to confirm a couple of things if you don't mind. I've also received a bunch of files (GIs database files) and started to read these forums for some solution to import them to CAD.

As I read from this post we should have some files extensions (shp, shx and a prg) to import the information to Civil 2012, the problem is that I don't have the prg, so when trying to import the shapes, I get stuck in (data mapping structures). I've also tried to use Mapwspace but the two shapes that are brought to Civil are placed in an completely different position then they should.

I also have other files like (sbx, sbn, idx and dbf).

Is it really necessary to have the prg file to position the shapes correctly?

Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: sfmaximo

To load Gis data in Autocad with _MAPIMPORT command, you need 3 files + 1 optional:

1] .SHP

2] .DBF

3] .SHX

4] .PRJ (optional, to automatic georeferency)

Message 8 of 9
sfmaximo
in reply to: antoniovinci

Hi,

So basically, we only need the .prj file to place the elements in the right coordinate system?!
Can you explain me the diference between that way using _Mapimport and using _Import Gis Data (Connecting to Data) and also why I get stucked at (data mapping structures) using that way?

Thanks again

Message 9 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: sfmaximo

The .PRJ is optional, because Autocad uses it to convert automatically the imported shapefile among CRS (if you have no PRJ, you must declare the entering CRS manually).

The difference between the 2 importing methods is:

• _MAPIMPORT loads physically a shapefile in the drawing
  • _MAPCONNECT only creates a link to the shapefile (something like XREF)

The latter is useful to not overload the final .DWG, then because the source may be updated once for all N users (while _MAPIMPORTed shapefiles are locally stored, so they need to be updated N times, once for each user).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report