Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imperial to metric scaling

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
albionpjl
219 Views, 8 Replies

imperial to metric scaling

Hi all,
I often work with very old maps and have to overlay them onto the modern OS.
I tried setting up a drawing with the units in feet and inches, and digitising a drawing, and then opening the modern map which is set to metres and importing the first into it, but the units in the first drawing simply turn into metres when it imports (so that something that was 1 foot in the original drawing is now one metre. Is there a way to bring a drawing done with imperial measurements into a drawing done with metres and have it automatically scale correctly?
Thanks
Joan
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: albionpjl

Assuming no verticals are involved only horizontal, can you not insert one dwg into the other? Scale and explode the drawing. (1'= .3048 m) "albionpjl" wrote in message news:31943217.1110212430366.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi all, > I often work with very old maps and have to overlay them onto the modern OS. > I tried setting up a drawing with the units in feet and inches, and digitising a drawing, and then opening the modern map which is set to metres and importing the first into it, but the units in the first drawing simply turn into metres when it imports (so that something that was 1 foot in the original drawing is now one metre. Is there a way to bring a drawing done with imperial measurements into a drawing done with metres and have it automatically scale correctly? > Thanks > Joan
Message 3 of 9
albionpjl

Hi wfb,
I did do it that way in the end, but I have a vague memory from something I've seen somewhere (I don't remember where) that there may be a way for it to be done automatically with no need for further rescaling.
I may be mis-remembering, but given that architects and civil engineers must come up against this sort of thing fairly regularly, it seemed likely that a shortcut might exist.
Oh well
thanks anyway
Joan
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

It is possible to create the Civil Data (Point, Alignments, Parcels, Surfaces, etc.) in one unit of measure like Imperial Units and then LandXML Export to create a LandXML file. A user can then create a new drawing in Metric Units and LandXML Import. The software will convert the data from one unit of measure to the other. Clearly, this does not work for purely geometric objects (lines, arcs, circles, text, etc.). they can be inserted, aligned and exploded later. Angel Espinoza KETIV Technologies "albionpjl" wrote in message news:31943217.1110212430366.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi all, > I often work with very old maps and have to overlay them onto the modern OS. > I tried setting up a drawing with the units in feet and inches, and digitising a drawing, and then opening the modern map which is set to metres and importing the first into it, but the units in the first drawing simply turn into metres when it imports (so that something that was 1 foot in the original drawing is now one metre. Is there a way to bring a drawing done with imperial measurements into a drawing done with metres and have it automatically scale correctly? > Thanks > Joan
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

No, That's the easiest and best way. What could be easier than scaling everything by the same factor ? If everything has the correct elevation in 3D you can even make a block of it all, delete all then re-insert with the same scale for X, Y and Z. Easy. Doug Boys
Message 6 of 9
albionpjl

Hi doug,
I hoped that there might be an automated way that would use more decimal places in the conversion than are available to me in my last-year's-diary conversion lists (this year's diary doesn't have them), and would therefore have a greater level of accuracy over a large area.
thanks to all for the replies
Joan
Message 7 of 9
albionpjl

having just done a search for conversion tables I see why they haven't bothered to make an automated way. I never knew that US feet were a slightly different length to Imperial feet. That would throw an extra variable into any attempt to do an automated conversion.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

http://convert.french-property.co.uk/ http://www.simetric.co.uk/siinfo.htm There are even Philadelphia (?) feet which are different from US feet (by just a little bit apparently). Doug Boys
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Bloody Dutch, wearing wooden shoes! regs Rad "Doug Boys" wrote in message news:4230349b_1@newsprd01... > http://convert.french-property.co.uk/ > > http://www.simetric.co.uk/siinfo.htm > > There are even Philadelphia (?) feet which are different from US feet (by > just a little bit apparently). > > Doug Boys > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report