Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to recreate <<C3D_Imperial>> profile if deleted?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
JamesMaeding
1550 Views, 16 Replies

how to recreate <<C3D_Imperial>> profile if deleted?

In my testing of C3D 2012 profiles, i thought I might have changed the <<C3D_Imperial>> profile, so i deleted it.

To my disbelief, when I ran the C3D icon from start menu, it creates an "as AutoCad" profile!

I know a repair install will solve this, but are the defaut profiles not saved as arg files or something?

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
AllenJessup
in reply to: JamesMaeding

They're saved if you saved them. The ARG files aren't automatically created.

Are you starting from a desktop icon that contains  /p "<<C3D_Imperial>>" ?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
AllenJessup

I was thinking I could save mine and share it. But since I created a network deployment with our custom paths in it. The default C3D Imperial profile contains them. So that wouldn't work for you.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
JamesMaeding

yes, I am running the full C3D OOTB icon on the start menu.

It says "no profile exists, making from defaults..." and spits out a vanilla profile and names it <<C3D_Imperial>>.

It displays the wrong splash screen too (as acad one).

Message 5 of 17
JamesMaeding
in reply to: AllenJessup

it would work if you have not modified the one named <<C3D_Imperial>>.  Do you name your company ones different than the OOTB ones?

Message 6 of 17
AllenJessup

Do you have any other installations where you could save an ARG file and import it to your computer?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
AllenJessup

Yes. We name them differently. But I exported an ARG file and checked it out. It has the custom paths to our server for PC3. PMP, CTB file etc. I set those in the network deployment. So I thought they might have come from there.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
Sinc

If it becomes necessary, running a Repair Installation should restore the C3D_Imperial profile to its default state.

Sinc
Message 9 of 17
JamesMaeding

I never understand why cad managers do that though.  You can control all you need with your acaddoc.lsp, and IMO, should do it that way so you reset anything out of whack every time the users start acad.

Also, you can use one admin image at multiple locations, assuming you gave it a drive letter for the image location when making it.

2012 would not though! It only seems to allow network share locations.  Adesk is making life harder and harder on CAD Managers, though not on purpose.

Message 10 of 17
JamesMaeding

good idea, i will do that.  Actually only have 2012 on one machine so far!

Message 11 of 17
AllenJessup

It's more or less just the way I learned to do it. I know of the method you mention and others. I know one person that sets a batch file to run every time AutoCAD is started. It overwrites local files on the users computer with the standard ones from the network.

But he runs a very large shop. I'm down to 4 semi-regular users and the same number of part time users. I provide the templates and other basics. Then I let them customize as they wish. People either stay with the profiles I provide or save their own. I save the basic ones to the server so everyone can access them. They can save their own there so they're backed-up.

I have 2 users now that can't even use the server because they've been moved to a building that isn't on the LAN. They can access it over the WAN. But that's too slow for most things. We hope to be able to run fiber-optic's to that building within a couple of years.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Looks like the reset button restores defaults?

reset.png

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
JamesMaeding

but a smaller number of users implies less overhead budget for a cad manager.

Larger user base means more needs, but more money too.

So either way, all CAD Managers/helpers need to have an efficient system.

No one right way, but I think there are better and less better ways of doing things.

Minimums for me:

1) save default company profiles as .arg, and make icons for users with a full .arg path, so first use creates the profile.

2) standard set of folders for company lisps and things that get robocopy mirrored each login.  All company customization must work off-line so local files are needed.

3) one network folder for each user, so they keep their own lisps and things in there

4) acaddoc.lsp checks support paths, and sets any settings desired, such as plot folders and such

further enhancements:

1) standard key-in.lsp file that loads on startup

2) have startup load the user lisp, named <loginname.lsp>, if found.  Users load their stuff if desired there.

I do tons more, but feel free to pick my brain on how any of these are implemented.

Message 14 of 17
Sinc
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Looks like the reset button restores defaults?

I don't know...  Does it?  I seem to remember trying that once, and IIRC it restored it to the default settings for an plain AutoCAD Profile, and not to the default settings for a C3D Imperial Profile.  In other words, maybe useful for a plain Acad user, but not for a C3D user.

Sinc
Message 15 of 17
JamesMaeding
in reply to: Sinc

correct, it throws in acad defaults, not C3D as Acad which has a few more paths

Message 16 of 17
AllenJessup

If you have a recent backup of your registry it would contain the profile

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2108289806-3803732536-250371831-1001\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.1\ACAD-9000:409\Profiles\<<C3D_Imperial>>

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
JamesMaeding
in reply to: Sinc

BTW, check out what the paths look like for C3D as Acad.  Notice the brackets, is that allowed?  I did not know about it.

Notice the two FDO paths, that is an error by Adesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report