Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to do coordinate transformation

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bigexploit
516 Views, 8 Replies

how to do coordinate transformation

how to do coordinate transformation or conversion between two local drawing.(two no projection drawing

how can i do the above in civil 3d

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ccoles
in reply to: bigexploit

It's been many years (thank God!) since I had to do this, but if neither survey is in a world-based coordinate system, you are probalby going to have to find a couple of common points between the two and do an old-fashioned 'translate and rotate' (AKA move and rotate) routine to line them up. If you start with a clean drawing, then bring in both surveys as blocks, you can move one of the surveys as a block to get it lined up with the other before exploding both.

Last time I needed to do this, I had three legacy surveys that were done in local coordinates and none of them pointed to true North. One of them actually had survey North pointed to the South-West! I kid you not.

The only other way I can think of to do it is to go back to the surveyor(s) and have them re-compile the survey data to a state-plane coordinate system. Our survey requirements now call for a state-plane system or WGS to be used on all surveys.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 9
KirkNoonan

If you're using a survey database, right click on the name of the database in the survey tab of your toolspace and select translate database. This will translate (move and rotate) everything in the database as well as changing the vertical datum if you need. You can select the common points in the two drawings and get them lined up however you want.

Message 4 of 9
ctbailey

The few replies you'e gotten are good.  But some more information from you would cement which course of action you need to take.

_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 5 of 9
bigexploit
in reply to: KirkNoonan

for example i want to transform the survey database (JOEL SLAB) to (GEOTEX) because that is the general coordinate sys we are working with,

am having challenge to do it. i could not find the outcome, especially the point 01(that was written with blue color)i want to put it to my main database

thanks 

Message 6 of 9
ctbailey

You can transform ONE database at a time, based on drawing objects or actual X,Y,Z coordinates with or without a rotation.

Right click the primary node which is the survey database in question. In that right click menu you will find "translate."

It sounds like you want to translate one SV database to another. That is not directly possible.

Try the help menu, and buy the Mastering Civil3D book.

Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS

Sent from my iPhone
603-867-3607
_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 7 of 9
doni49

If you know the "new" coordinates of two points in your existing DB, then the attached PDF should help you.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 9
bigexploit
in reply to: doni49

Please is it on the SD you want to moved to, you will create this two new
points.
And on the vport the point you used as an illustration, one was showing the
new created point why other is also showing the old point.
Message 9 of 9
bigexploit

Please, is it in the SD you are moving to, you have to create the new points. The pix you showed in pdf, is somehow confusing.
Please pardon my two many questions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report