Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change contour labels precision

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
shane_johnson_wood_county_engineer_cad
16701 Views, 12 Replies

how to change contour labels precision

i am trying to change my contour label precision from 700 to 700.50, i am working in a very flat area and i placed .25' and 1' contours on my site plan but can only get even foot labels to show. where do i change the precision, i tried in units, no luck.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Sounds like you are only labeling the major contours. Look at the surface labeling dialog box to make sure that the minor contours are being labeled, and check the layer that the minor labels are coning in on.

Message 3 of 13

all of the contours are labeled, i just need to change the value from 699 to 699.25

Message 4 of 13

Then you just need to edit the label style to show the desired precision.

Message 5 of 13

do you have a path?

Message 6 of 13

Look under Surface-> Label Styles -> Contour in the settings tab on the Prospector. Edit the style you are using to label the minor contours. Easier yet, just select one of the labels and right-click. I think you have to go through the contour label line style to get there, but you can get to the contour label style that way, too

Message 7 of 13
CrazyIvan
in reply to: KirkNoonan

I had this problem and found this thread.  It doesn't quite work this easy, as there are extra steps to take:

Look under Surface-> Label Styles -> Contour in the settings tab on the Prospector. Edit the style you are using to label the contours.

Check my screenshot attached.

Once here, click the [...] button at the end of "CONTENTS" under "TEXT" to bring up the 3rd window on the right.  Change precision to desired amount, then hit the "=>" (ARROW RIGHT) at the top.  This will add another line to the window on the right.  Delete the old line, and select OK.  All labels associated with this style should update when you regen.

Message 8 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: CrazyIvan

No need to add a new line to the label contents box and then delete the original. Instead just pick the existing value in the edit box and it's properties will appear on the left. Change the precision to .01 and hit the Right Arrow button to replace the old value with the new.

This workflow will be useful when there are other fields or static text before and/or after the component in the original label.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 13
CrazyIvan
in reply to: Neilw_05

When you hit the Arrow Right, it adds the new content as a second line on mine. So I always have to delete the old one, or I will get 2 strings of text.

Message 10 of 13
Neilw_05

The key is to pick the value in the edit window to select and highlight it, then hit the right arrow. It is the same behavior as when you select a piece of text in a text editor and then paste from the clipboard to overwrite it.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 13
CrazyIvan
in reply to: Neilw_05

I got it.  Same process as deleting the old one, just two steps faster.

Message 12 of 13
Neilw_05

It can save even more steps if there are other values or text included in the first line. Otherwise you'd have to copy or move those values to the new line.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 13 of 13

HERE is a video I did quite a while ago on this very topic if anyone is interested.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report